“Even better the second time around!”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Even better the second time around!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I've already reviewed Hard Rock once, but I feel obligated to write more than my small review from the first time. I live in San Diego and hardly ever stay at hotels in the area, but I've had the luxury of staying at Hard Rock twice now. The service is phenomenal and I can't rave enough about how comfortable the bed is. This hotel is so unique compared to anything else around because where else can you see an outfit of Janis Joplin's, a sketch of Jerry Garcia's, or a telegram of Elvis' on the way to your room?! It's a MUST for any fan of music.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sp1014
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thanks for the second review! We love you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful week at this hotel. We stayed in a RockStar suite - which was located on the Petco Park side. Whilst some street noise was heard during early hours of the morning, for us it just added to the excitement of living at the entrance of the Gaslamp Quarter.
The suite was spacious, modern and very clean. The room service and Mary Janes Cafe had a wide variety of delicious food and drinks which we really enjoyed. Mini bar had a large range to choose from, however it was not replenished for our entire stay! This was disappointing but instead we tried several of the bars on 5th Ave.
The staff were all really friendly and accommodating which was great to experience.
Unfortunately we didn't have time to try the rooftop pool bar as we ran out of time.
My overall experience was awesome, we would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed February 2012
Thanks for the great review. Next time, give us a call and we’ll stock your Mbar with all of your favorite goodies! See you soon.
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Spent 5 nights recently for a company conference held at the hotel. I checked in on a Saturday and was astonished at the mass of people in the place - almost zoo-like. I was also annoyed that guests have to pay a cover charge just to get in the overcrowded hotel bars on the weekend. Our company spent well into 6 figures for a meeting here, but there are no benefits given for doing that, like access to the hotel bar. The place caters to the public and not to guests on weekends. I wasn't there on a Friday to see what that's like, but forget trying to sleep on a Saturday night. There were people going in and out of rooms and screaming in the hallways all night long, finally quieting down at 6 am. I thought this was going to be a long week at the place. Rating the hotel 2 stars at this point. What a difference a day makes. By Sunday afternoon, spring break at Ft. Lauderdale was over and the loud drunk 20-somethings were gone and the place was more normal.
The Club 207 bar on the ground floor was a disappointment repeatedly. On a couple of nights almost immediately after pouring our group many drinks, bouncers drove everyone out of the place in a not very cool way at what seemed to be random times, once just after 12:30. I guess take the money and treat people poorly is the business strategy here.
Rooms at the place are nice and the housekeeping quality is good. Good shower with rain head. The meeting facilities were one of the highlights of the property. Everything was well organized and the catering was good, with the exception of the lunches being held in tents in an area nearby the pool where the temperature was uncomfortably cold for most people. For business travel in the Gaslamp area, I prefer the Solamar which is a quieter place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. We do have VIP access to both our clubs for hotel guests, and I’m so sorry this was not communicated to you at check in. I can assure you that great service is one of the best aspects of our hotel, while treating people poorly is not. It seems you experienced this in our meeting facilities, but not our bars and for that I truly apologize. I hope you’ll visit is again next time you’re in the area so we can show you a great experience in all areas of the property.
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our group was here for a three day work conference. The first night we were told that their were no standard rooms available but they could put us in a suite. Wonderful I thought. However...we were asked to checkout of the suite the next day when a standard room became available. Instead of transferring our bill and moving our luggage for us...We had to miss a good 1/2 hour of the conference go get out bags, bring them down to the desk, check out and recheck in! Oh and btw..."your new room isn't available till 4:00pm."

VIP passes to 207? What a joke! So before 10pm we stood in line to get in at 207 showed our room card but that wasn't good enough. He then directed us to the front desk to yet stand in line again for them fill out a ticket. Again...stood in line to then present this ticket to the door dude at 207. I asked "why were these 207 tickets not given at check in?" I got the answer of "I don't know?".

The leather chairs in the rooms are worn and dirty. Showers were nice when you had hot water. If you want to sleep early bring ear plugs as 207 plays until 2:30am. But the front desk will give you pair if requested. Honestly...not a great overall experience.

I was waiting for the "how was your stay" question when we checked out but was never asked.

Poor customer service!!

• Stayed February 2012
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Jocelyn35, first of all I’d like to thank you for your review. Your feedback is so important to us. I am so sorry that the service you received was as described. Guest service is our main focus, and it is disappointing to hear that your stay was anything less than great. I’ve passed this on to our Front Desk team so we can find what went wrong and fully improve for next time. Thank you for visiting.
Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of my favourite locations to stay having travelled to San Diego in 2008 and staying in the Hard Rock less than 2 months after it had opened. It was great to get the opportunity to revisit San Diego and stay 6 nights in the Hard Rock again. The rooms have all the latest gadgets in them and the overall area is very clean and tidy. Staff will sort out any problems you may have and everything you need is all within walking distance. I would recommend if you are thinking about San Diego, to certainly pay this hotel a visit, even if it is only for a drink in the bars.
There are a couple of resturants within the facilities, but with it been located in the Gaslamp district the option to eat whatever type of food you are looking for is available. Night life is also fab in the surrounding area, and if in baseball season, San Diego Padres is only 300 yards away. Beaches are easlisy assessible and tyou can take the trolley (tram) and bus to get to Pacific and Mission Beach for just over $5 for a day ticket giving you the option to explore further and across the Mexican border (Passport required).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David G
Thanks for returning and sharing your experience. It sounds like both visits were awesome. I hope we won’t have to wait another few years for your next visit!