“San Diego Symphony”
Review of San Diego Symphony

San Diego Symphony
Ranked #97 of 451 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The symphony is a great way to enjoy all of the instruments with the world's greatest conductors. The location is great in the heart of downtown San Diego.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

This particular matinee was enjoyable. It included music from several different countries. The conductor was very fun and playful, and added a nice touch to an afternoon of orchestra.

Be aware though that the matinee shows are potentially filled with children. The noise, cold season and mood of the children at the show we attended put a bit of a damper on the afternoon unfortunately.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The San Diego Symphony is wonderful. I especially love the Summer Pops season at the Embarcadaro (outside by the water), at night with the beautiful San Diego weather and skyline. It is a very unique and fun way to spend an evening!

1  Thank maltesefan
Reviewed 15 January 2012

SD Symphony is a world class orchestra. If you are fond of classical music, the Jacobs Masterworks series is your ticket, and my personal favorite. If you buy a single ticket, rather than becoming a season ticket holder, then don't miss your concert, because there are no refunds and the tix for the good seats are pricey.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We attended the San Diego Symphony Pops performance on July 3, for which the theme was, of course, the fourth of July. Marvin Hamlisch had was supposed to conduct, but he was sick with pneumonia, so Matthew Garbutt stepped in as conductor. I won't lie--I was quite disappointed that Marvin wouldn't be conducting, but I must say that my disappointment disappeared the very moment the symphony started playing. The music was so very beautiful that I was brought to tears, and I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only one. Lakisha and David Hernandez performed beautifully, and I loved the mix of songs. Not really what I was expecting, along with the standard patriotic tunes. The young man who performed the Hamlisch song was so sweet sounding, so clear that even the conductor was crying. Speaking of whom, I loved that guy! Garbutt's energy and personality was absolutely endearing. My husband and I shared a bottle of wine, and I had a great little cheese platter. It was pricey but perfect. My husband had trouble in the concessions line, but I did not. The porta-potty monitors were a hoot. They got us in and out of there in time for the second half of the show with militant efficiency. I loved the show and I was sad when it was over. The fireworks display at the end of the show was great, and it literally ended with a bang. I'd do it over and over and over again. My favorite thing on our trip to San Diego.