All reviewszoo roomother guestsbalboa parkbalboa roomb and bthe main houseold townfresh fruitbreakfast tablehome away from homeoff street parkingwithin walking distanceevery morningrestaurant recommendationsquiet neighborhoodhard boiled eggsbreakfast was delicious
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was my first time in southern California and I wanted to avoid the big chain-style hotels as I find them impersonal. I scoured Trip Advisor and Hillcrest House seemed to fit the bill and I wasn’t disappointed.

What I particularly admired was the friendly family atmosphere of the place, it was almost like staying at a friends house. We met the owner, Ann, on the day we arrived, and for the next three days of our stay we were in the capable hands of Shannon, her assistant, who always had a smile on her face and was extremely helpful regarding all our enquiries and requests.

I give full marks to this B & B, for service, already mentioned, cleanliness, comfort, location and convenience for local ammenities. Although the hotel is not exactly in the heart of San Diego , downtown is easily reached by car.

If I have a tiny criticism it relates to the breakfast. Whilst I agree with what has been published, that it is wholesome, has fresh produce, is abundant etc. I would have welcomed just a bit more variety in the selection of jam, honey, and cheese. I agree that this is a small point but I thought it worth a mention.

I recommend this B & B and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Delightful, relaxed b&b in the eclectic Hillcrest neighborhood. Quick access to unique restaurants, balboa park, the zoo and gas lamp district. Excellent breakfast buffet and fresh baked cookies all day. Super friendly and helpful innkeepers.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank TJY2
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I had my mother visiting for the week and wanted to find a place where she would be very comfortable, safe, and able to walk to nearby shops and coffee houses. I had stayed at the Hillcrest House the year before so I knew that it would be perfect for her.
I also have a reputation in my family for choosing 'not so great' hotels for my mother, but this time I hit the ball out of the park. She raved about her stay! The B&B staff made sure they were present to greet us, and were very informative about the area and what things we should do during her visit. The highlights of my mother's stay were the service, the 1000 count bed sheets which were apparently so comfortable that I had to call a few times to wake her up in the morning, and how clean and fresh the rooms were each evening when she returned.
Thank you Hillcrest House for improving my reputation with my family!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quaint and comfortable, but those in the bungalos have a little more privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We spent our Anniversary at the Hillcrest House B & B. Stayed in the Gaslamp Room. Slept like a baby on the most comfortable sheets and bed we've ever slept in! Loved the glass/tile shower! The hostess was very knowledgeable on things to do in the immediate area. Great location for everything San Diego! Fun people at breakfast! Wish I brought a Mug home, but forgot. Would love to return one day.

Room Tip: We only saw our room but heard they were all very comfy!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hillcrest house back in October(2011) for 5 nights in the gaslamp room for our anniversary. The room was clean with a rustic charm to it. The bed was very comfy with the best sheets I have ever slept on (my husband bought a set of the sheets as a surprise anniversary gift). The room is definately "cozy", with not alot of space to move around. There is one small dresser to put clothes into, and not much space to hang things. Like other people said, the window air is a little noisy but my husband and I found that we slept better with the noise from it. The bathroom is tight, but luckily we are both small people. It was also very clean and the shower was large. Once again not a lot of space to put things. The worst thing is where the toilet is, tucked into the corner, it could be a real challenge for some to access.

As for the breakfast it was exactly as I expected. For those of you who bashed on her breakfast open your eyes, do your research, it was exactly like it says on the website. My husband and I found it very filling and a refreshing way to start the day. Ann's mini muffins are awesome! The morning conversation was always quite pleasent and Ann would always update us on what to expect weater wise (October in San Diego you never know what you'll get). One of the days we were there it was very rainy and she had umbrellas for us to use, and when we got back from a late dinner there was even a heater waiting outside our room in case we got cold.

Now with all that said we would stay there again in a heartbeat. Ann is very friendly and takes great pride in what she does. She is also very familiar with the area and told us all the good places to visit (even had coupons for some things). We have never had such a relaxing and friendly vacation anywhere. It was truly a VACATION! Ann has offically converted me to bed and breakfasts. The very thought of staying at a hotel again stresses me out.

Room Tip: If you are larger built go with a room different than the gaslamp
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple