“One of our favorite casual spots...”

Point Loma Living Room
Ranked #75 of 103 Coffee & Tea in San Diego
Description: Point Loma Living Room Coffeehouse resides in a 2 story historic landmark, The Jennings House, built in 1886. The Jennings House as been home to a variety of commercial businesses over the years, and for the last 16+ years a coffeehouse, providing hot & cold beverages, pastries, and a wide assortment of breakfast items, sandwiches, soups, salads, and other delicious items. Under new ownership since 2/1/17, Point Loma Living Room has recently been updated in order to bring back the historic beauty of the home, while at the same time maintaining the atmosphere that the greater community of Point Loma has grown to love and appreciate over time. Join us for a beverage, dessert, or meal in our quiet, comfortable atmosphere. We look forward to sharing our "Living Room" with you in the hopes you enjoy the history of The Jennings House, as well as the history of Point Loma through artwork, articles, and information incorporated into the decor.
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We go here whenever we remember...that is, it's not the first "restaurant" that comes to mind since it started out as a college-style, trendy coffee house near San Diego State. I don't think the original one is there anymore. There's one in Old Town & another one in La Jolla. They serve breakfast, lunch & dinner. We haven't gone there for breakfast - YET.

The first time we had a meal here we were so shocked - in a good way. They serve kind of unusual entrees, but I've never disliked anything. Since we go to Old Town two or three times per month (we love being tourists in our own beautiful city), we get to stop in here often.

Anyway, great food & generous portions. Nothing run-of-the-mill here.

There are newer reviews for Point Loma Living Room

Reviewed 8 December 2011

While in town visiting family we decided to grab a late lunch at the Living Room Coffeehouse in Point Loma. We checked out the menu posted outside, everything looked good so we went inside and ordered. First off I have to say the coffee was not bad and their white tea was excellent so if I just wanted something hot to drink I wouldn’t hesitate…as a matter of fact the place was full of college students with their laptops and a cup of joe.
“They put together a great sounding menu but executing it is another story.”
It took a while to get a sandwich and two mixed green salads. When we got our food the sandwich which was a special, a roast beef melt I believe, was not toasted nor the cheese melted, the meat was so paper thin you could hardly see it, and the red onion was at least a half inch thick to give the sandwich some thickness. Anyway it was so bad that after eating half of it my mother couldn’t stomach anymore and tossed it on our way out. My sister and I ordered the Mixed Green which sounded good with the artichoke hearts, sprouts and cucumber, well we received our salads and they didn’t have any of these. We strolled downstairs with salads in hand and questions, we were told that they were out of sprouts and had been for some time. They had forgotten to add artichoke hearts and cucumber. Well we spent the next 10 min. watching him cut the cucumber and more (onion??) to smithereens – seriously you need a spoon to get them up, we got our salads back and there was no artichoke heart just 4 artichoke leaves, I asked where the heart was and he said he cut it up (never did find it). At $7.50 for a small salad I think they could have spared an artichoke heart or two. The positives are the hot drinks and a decent atmosphere, but I would never eat there again.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were staying at a very basic motel near the harbor in Point Loma which offered muffins, yoghurt and coffee for breakfast but we wanted something more. On our last day someone suggested a new restaurant on Rosecrans which happened to only serve breakfast on Sundays and this was Monday. Much to our good luck, the Living Room Cafe was right across the street.
First of all, this place is an historical building, an old Victorian, I think and so has so much charm in the various areas you can choose to sit. We sat on the front porch but there's patio in the back yard, inside downstairs with tables, a few comfy looking chairs and couches and upstairs with more couches, chairs and small tables.
The breakfast menu was long and varied. You could order all kinds of egg dishes, omelets, waffles, salads, quiches, sandwiches, etc. My husband ordered an latte which comes in a huge cup, almost soup bowl size and I had a great cappuccino. I ordered the mushroom quiche which came with fruit and croissant - delicious. The service was perfect. But the best part of all - incredibly inexpensive prices.
I now see this is a small chain and you can find Living Room Cafe in La Jolla and near San Diego State University.

Reviewed 6 November 2010

The food at this place is the worst. The service, not much better. We had 4 of us and one had to go to the counter and get her own plate and that was after the other 3 were almost done. You can make better sandwiches at home. Kraft singles right out of the plastic, turkey out of plastic too. Didn't even have all the elements mentioned on the menu. Tea, cloudy - Yuck. Seriously, skip this place. Too many other wonderful choices in the area. Try Tender Greens near by, fresh and delicious!

Reviewed 4 May 2010

The Living Room was a late night stop for a friend and I. He drove by it each day on his way to work and said it looked good. So while I was in town we checked it out.
The service was very nice, but very slow and didnt know what they were doing. We ordered a cup of tea and some hookah. Apparently hookah is a new addition to their menu and none of the staff knows how to put it together. It had been years since I set it up so the employee went out to the patio and asked one of the customers how to do it. The guy had just ordered it before us and set his up on his own because he didnt want to wait for her.
The tea was very good. The hookah selection was small, but they had the one flavor I wanted and can never find.
If you have patience for slow service this place is worth it. And lets face it, if you are going to a coffee shop to sit, read, and chat with friends... you arent looking for the fastest service in the west. Just try to find the humor in their staff. It helped us.