“Good value - Motel 6 style”

Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
Ranked #205 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hi

If you know the Motel 6 brand, then you know what to expect. If you don't know the Motel 6 brand, then you may need to adjust your expectations. Compare what you pay at Motel 6, with what you'd have paid at the Hilton, Mariott etc. For what I paid at Motel 6, it was great value.

The location is a little bit out of the centre downtown, but an easy walk. You can be in the Gaslamp area in 7-10 minutes. Depending on which route you walk, you do walk by the sad reality of San Diego's homeless problem, however there are no issues with people hassling you (in my experience).

I stayed for 7 nights. The room was functional, clean and the staff helpful and friendly. The free car parking was a definite advantage.

I've seen some comments about cleanliness, this is dependant upon the individual staff member (and the floor manager). My room was cleaned well.

Not much around the hotel, however there is a restaurant and liquor store/deli only 1-2 minutes walk away.

For what I paid, it was very good value. It won't be for everyone, especially those with certain expectations, however for a business traveller like me who has an eye on costs, then it was the right choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HernanCortez

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Firstly, this is a Motel 6 not a Radisson or Hilton, so some perspective, but we loved it here. The staff have been friendly and helpful, providing tourist information and answering any questions with humour and politeness. Our room was immaculate, cleaned every day and the bed was comfy, couldn't ask for anymore. The location is great, equi-distant from Little Italy and the Gaslamp and an easy walk for all but the laziest guest. Free parking, free coffee and a minute of the interstate. Go Motel 6 !!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

It was decent. The room remodel is a step up from what it use to be. The location is great! Just minutes to almost any major tourist spot and quick access to the free way. I'm not a fan of the faux wood floors in the rooms, I though they looked dirty. The reason I gave a low score on service was the front desk employee who checked us in was rather unhappy and one of the days the elevator was broken so our room never got cleaned (I needed towels and more cups). I would stay here again... You can't have high expectations for leads than $70 a night in downtown SD.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank ShanersD
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Compared to the Super 8 (see other review) this hotel is probably not worth what we paid. The room was small, very clinical ie no carpet. TV was ok, no free Wifi and parking could potentially be impossible - they have about 30 spaces for 50 rooms, although it was free.
Bed was a bit smaller than what we had got used to in the other hotels we've stayed in in the states.

Location was good, the Westfields mall was only a 5 minute walk, and the habour probably 10 mins.

Lady on reception was very nice though, and very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve-And-Barbara
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My wife and I decided to book at Motel 6 to save a little money. We will never do so again! I left my cell phone turned on and sitting on the bedside table for several hours as we visited the sites. When we came back, housekeeping had cleaned the room and the phone was gone. When I called my number I found that the phone had been turned off. The maid stole my phone. The only response from the front desk was, "Wow. That sucks." Do yourself a favor and avoid this motel!

I also prepaid for WIFI, but the only way I was able to use it was by taking my laptop to the lobby since the room we were in could not get a signal.

One more thing: When housekeeping brought new towels, we found hair on them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family