New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #159 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Good Value and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I first looked at this property when it was being converted from offices to timeshare units in the 1990s. I was tempted to buy into it then because of its location in the heart of downtown San Diego, right near the active Gaslamp Quarter entertainment district, but decided against it. However, in 2011 when I had business in San Diego, I figured I'd try it out as a hotel. I wasn't disappointed. My first impression upon entering the hotel was somewhat of a put-off, as the lobby desk is a bit shabby, and the staff seems a little amateurish. However, the rooms themselves are nice and the staff turned out to be very personable and quite helpful. The rooms are small (I've stayed in two of them, so far), but they're decorated in the boutique hotel style. Though I was happy to be in the heart of the city and within a few blocks of restaurants and Horton Plaza (the downtown shopping mall), the loud music from adjacent bars had me concerned. Happily, the noise quieted right down at 10:00 PM, allowing me to wake refreshed for a meeting the next morning. A complimentary breakfast is offered on the rooftop deck, but since I'm a low-carb guy, there wasn't much for me to choose. Still, it's nice to have the option. I got my room during each stay for just under $100 a night before tax. For that price, it's hard to beat without going out to more suburban locations. I didn't have a car but took the MTS city bus from the airport directly downtown (one block from the hotel). However, the hotel does offer valet parking for a fee.

Room Tip: North side rooms will be quieter, as they face away from the Gaslamp Quarter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Guest . I think you've mistaken us for Gaslamp Plaza Suites one block away ,they are the hotel that converted from offices to a hotel. Folks get us mixed up often ,we get a lot of their phone calls .And their north side does face away from Gaslamp.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Everyone at the hotel was efficient, helpful and cheerful. The hotel is in a super location right in the middle of the Gaslamp district. We booked it because we wanted to be in that area to walk to everything and also because it is an historic hotel (the old Hotel St. James). It really was what we expected as the rooms were small being the hotel was built almost 100 yrs. ago. The hotel staff were great and there is a free shuttle to and from the hotel to the airport all good things. Our only critique is the airflow and air conditioning. This was January yet it was stuffy because we really did not need air conditioning but without it on the room was hot. With it on it was too dry to sleep well. That is our only complaint and we realize it is due to the age of the hotel. So if you are looking for historic and a good location and willing to put up with small room, itty bitty shower and air unit in the window I would recommend to go for it. My husband & I are fairly small people so the room size and small shower size were fine for us, larger people maybe not. All in all I would really give this hotel a 4 rating except for the airflow in the room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for the kind worlds. If you ever come again please use the hotel's website link on Trip Advisor, if will offer you the lowest rate available . I see you're from Hawaii , San Diego's weather's nice but alas Hawaii's better. Thanks again.
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

In the heart of the gaslampdistrict, the Ramada Inn & Suites is well located for tourists. Restaurants en shops are within walking distance, which is very convenient during the evening.
The rooms are small (compact) but have all essentials. We used the valet-parking offered by the hotel for a reasonable fee. An excellent service when you decided to go to San Diego by car. The Convention Center is also within walking distance, making this hotel interesting for tourism and business.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear Guest , Thank you for your review and your support .We hope you return again some time.
Granger, In
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Nice hotel in a great location. I read some of the negative reviews and I didn’t experience any of the problems in those reviews. I believe we stayed in room 518. I requested two beds. What we got was two separate bedrooms each with their own tv, it was NOT small.
Yes the hotel was old but had character and was very clean. If I would have stayed longer I would have liked to spent some time on the roof patio with a book.
I plan on staying there again next time I’m in San Diego and have recommended this hotel to a couple I know that is traveling to San Diego in March. The price is right also, I don't think you could find anywhere else to stay for the price and the quality of this hotel if your staying in the Gas Lamp district.
I also found all the staff to be helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank redwhiskeypete
Dear Guest, Thanks for the nice words . I couldn't have summed it up better my self. We hope your friends have the same happy experience. We're glad you liked the double/double guest room ,they are quite unusual and very handy (we only have 22 of them) . Best way for friends to book is via the hotel's web site link on Trip Advisor . Ramada requires us to offer guests the lowest rate available there (big trouble if we don't) and we get your reservation instantly , no lag time, no getting lost , no "I'm sorry we don't seem to have your reservation yada yada" . We'll be waiting for you and thanks again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

The Ramada Gaslamp was built in 1913 and it is a quaint place, a hotel from a long-ago time. For one, the elevators are the original ones, and will celebrate their 100th birthday next year. To enter them, you have to open a door, as if entering a room. Then, there is a an accordian-style gate that must be pushed back. When pulling a wheeled suitcase, getting in these elevators requires some dexterity. Other than that, they work fine.

Rooms are small, and mostly complete. My standard room had a coffee maker but no fridge. There is a desk with task lamp, an open closet to hang clothes and a slightly cramped bathroom.

First night I was in my room, I took a shower, no problem. For some reason, the next day, the cold water shower tap didn't work. Only the hot side worked.

Room was a tad warm, even in San Diego winter. There is a small air conditioning unit in the window that I used at night. The bed was very comfortable. I was able to hear a woman in an adjacent room, who souded like she had COPD. Walls are a tad thin. Also internet access in my 2nd floor room was very weak.

Desk staff of the hotel were very friendly and knowledgable. There is a 24-hour restaurant named Brians 24 next door. This was very good (and handy) although the portions were definitly super-sized. Brians 24 has internet access and serve breakfast all day, if you like that.

This was an okay place to stay. Despite it's age, it still is a basic, functional hotel and convenient to both the Gaslamp and Convention Center.

Room Tip: Don't get any rooms near the elevators, as they not only make the usual beeping sound but also m...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for the review. We are the most convenient not big box hotel to the convention center. Brian's 24 is indeed a very popular restaurant . The elevators "once the fastest in the world" still travel at the same speed (not so fast be today's standards) ,the rooms not so big by today's standards (unless you're in Paris) . We hope to see you again if you're ever in town . Best way to book is via the hotel's web site link on Trip Advisor where we're mandated by Ramada to offer you the lowest rate found anywhere (other wise we're in big trouble) . Thanks again.