I first looked at this property when it was being converted from offices to timeshare units in the 1990s. I was tempted to buy into it then because of its location in the heart of downtown San Diego, right near the active Gaslamp Quarter entertainment district, but decided against it. However, in 2011 when I had business in San Diego, I figured I'd try it out as a hotel. I wasn't disappointed. My first impression upon entering the hotel was somewhat of a put-off, as the lobby desk is a bit shabby, and the staff seems a little amateurish. However, the rooms themselves are nice and the staff turned out to be very personable and quite helpful. The rooms are small (I've stayed in two of them, so far), but they're decorated in the boutique hotel style. Though I was happy to be in the heart of the city and within a few blocks of restaurants and Horton Plaza (the downtown shopping mall), the loud music from adjacent bars had me concerned. Happily, the noise quieted right down at 10:00 PM, allowing me to wake refreshed for a meeting the next morning. A complimentary breakfast is offered on the rooftop deck, but since I'm a low-carb guy, there wasn't much for me to choose. Still, it's nice to have the option. I got my room during each stay for just under $100 a night before tax. For that price, it's hard to beat without going out to more suburban locations. I didn't have a car but took the MTS city bus from the airport directly downtown (one block from the hotel). However, the hotel does offer valet parking for a fee.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style hotel is centrally located in San Diego's exciting Gaslamp Quarter. We invite you to step back in time to the elegant comforts, friendly hospitality and impeccable service of a bygone era. Opened in 1913 as the St. James Hotel, San Diego's original high-rise luxury hotel, our beautifully restored property is an oasis of historic style for leisure and business travelers. We are 6 1/2 blocks from San Diego's waterfront convention center. It's a pleasant 7 minute walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Inn & Suites Gaslamp/ Hotel San Diego
- Ramada Inn And Suites Gaslamp/Convention Center
- Ramada Inn San Diego
- Ramada San Diego