“Enthusiastic Staff”

US$89.00*
and up
San Diego Whale Watching Cruise and Maritime Museum Entry
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome aboard the world famous 139ft yacht AMERICA for a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching experience. This luxurious sailing schooner provides the most environmentally friendly and personal wildlife experience in San Diego. Next Level Sailing is located at the San Diego Maritime Museum; and same day admission to the museum is included for all of our guests. Highlights: * 4-hour cruise to spot whales, dolphins and more * "Whale sighting" and "no sea sickness" guarantees * Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages included * Free same day admission to SD Maritime Museum With low sweeping decks offering fantastic uninterrupted views and a deep keel for stability, the AMERICA offers whale watching at its best.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Indianapolis, IN
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Enthusiastic Staff”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Let's face it - a whale watching tour is only as good as the whales that you see; or so I thought. What made this tour for me was the AMAZING staff on board our sailing ship. They were all so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They went above and beyond to make sure that we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves. They provided snacks, drinks and even blankets on what turned out to be a chilly San Diego afternoon. Towards the end of the trip, we were even provided with hot chocolate - perfect!! Customer service at it's finest. Oh yeah, we did catch a few whale sightings.

Visited February 2012

“This experience was the highlight of our vacation!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

After an hour on this beautiful yacht, we felt that whale sightings would be the icing on the cake. We did have some great whale and dolphin sightings, and took some amazing pictures. Choose Next Level Sailing over other whale watching tours in San Diego, you will be delighted!

San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience, would do again in a heartbeat!”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Chose Next Level because of some positive reviews and a reasonable price. We were concerned as we signed up for the last four open slots, worried it would be quite crowded. But even with a full load, it was magnificent, and not too crowded. Everybody could see the whales and dolphins. Saw a 'megapod' of dolphins...literally thousands of dolphins swimming and leaping all around us. Made a lifetime memory, that.

Crew was cheery and friendly but very clear on the safety rules. I wouldn't bring any child on who was younger than 4...this is a sailing boat, not a cruise ship. My 9 year old loved it...my 7 year old did get sick. Recommend a motion bracelet or take dramamine prior (don't wait to get on the boat, it would be too late). To their credit, they insisted on honoring their 'Lose your Lunch' guarantee and provided us with our Anthony's gift certificate.

My wife and I packed a large picnic, just like their site suggested. We brought margartitas in sealed plastic bottles, cheese, crackers, etc. Do not depend on them to fill your tummy, it ain't gonna happen. When they say snacks, they mean light snacks for little kids.

One of the great things was you could pick and choose if you wanted to be educated or just enjoy the ambience. The bosun spent most of his time amidship giving history and biology talks, while the rest of the ship remained free for just hanging out. A really good kids talk helped pass the time while we returned to port.

I really recommend it.

Oceanside, California, United States
“Best Sail ever!!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband is a salty dog...he loves sailing and we haven't owned a boat for years so I bought him a trip on board the America for his Valentines present. Little did I know what a great gift I would be giving him. Oh, I knew the trip would be great, sailing wise...to be out on the water in a sailboat would give him pleasure. Let me tell you a couple of things about this boat...first, it is a replica of the boat which brought the America's cup to the US. Secondly, it is masterfully sailed by it's owner who is ably assisted by a crew, chiefly managed by Al, who as the first mate manages to politely but firmly let you know when you are erring in an unsafe way. He is knowledgeable and fun, all at the same time. They provide water, soft drinks, chips and hot chocolate. Our trip was bountiful with sights...a 5 or 6 pod of grey whales we kept up with for quite a while as we plied the water just south of the border, and then thousands of common dolphin erupting from the water like popcorn from a popper! AMAZING! I have never seen anything like it!!!! On the way back in, Captain Troy spotted a submarine coming directly for us...whoops... They made radio contact and in a professional manner ascertained that the sub would fall off and allow us to maintain our course. Very nice! Very impressive. As we passed a Navy ship, first mate Al suggested we give them a hip, hip, hoorah, which we did to their grateful waves back. I am so delighted with this trip. It was more expensive than others but it was well worth the additional cost because it was an excellent experience and will be a treasured memory.

San Diego, California
“Fantastic Trip!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was our first, but definitely not our last trip on the America. My wife, 4 year old daughter and myself had a great experience from top to bottom. We left the dock on time and had a nice trip on the way out to see the whales, where we saw a school of dolphins and had a pleasant picnic lunch. Once we arrived to the location where the whales might be, the crew seemed to use all of their experience to pinpoint the whales location which led us to a small group group of fin whales, the second largest whale species! All in all, it was a great experience thanks to the crew's experience and dedicated customer service.