“Great View in Little Italy”

The Glass Door Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fir St.
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had drinks here with some friends and it is such a great little find! It's on the 4th floor of the Portofino hotel and you would never even know it's up there! The drinks were creative and it's nice to be able to sit outside and look at the view over Little Italy and watch the planes land. The food is supposed to be great and I look forward to going back for dinner soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Came here for the view with a friend at sunset. You cant beat the laid back style, great view, long, extencive happy hour (till 7pm) with many choices of drinks and food at a significant discount, and a friendly staff. I got an amazing cocktail, cant remember the name but it was fresh blackberries and bourbon two of my favs and the "low" to eat. It was like NY strip lettuce wraps... awesome! My friend had a martini also with fresh berries and the salmon flat bread.
Everything was excellent! The drinks, The food, The service, and especially the view! the sunset is spectacular from here! Gotta love San Diego especially with places like this to enjoy it from.
I'll definatly be back!!!

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Went in for some Happy Hour drinks and ended up staying for dinner because the view and service was so top notch. Had some out of this world duck fries to start with and them moved onto the salmon entree which had some very clean, light flavors and a stellar presentation. Happy Hour specials are great and cocktail list is pretty fun too.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Had been there for drinks...great atmosphere and good happy hour specials so I thought I would surprise my wife and take her there for our anniversary. Big mistake. The food was terrible. I had the short ribs which were fatty and my wife had the chicken which was flavorless and tasted like it was boiled. We will be back as it is a great view, but we will stick with just drinks.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We were told about the place due to their view and Happy Hour. We saw it from our hotel in Little Italy and it looked stunning. So I changed my reservations from one restaurant to this one. It was to be my birthday celebration dinner. We walked to this restaurant, but when we got there it was nice to know that they offered free valet for dining. The Glass Door is located on the 4th floor of the Porto Vista Hotel. The elevator opened right up to the restaurant. We arrived 15 min early to our 7pm reservation and the place was buzzing. We were seated on the balcony with the stunning view. We were able to order an appetizer from the HH menu which was just a few dollars cheaper then the normal menu. My husband had the ceviche and it was really just shrimp salsa, but the chips were good. My crab cake was the best I've ever had though. We noticed as the happy hour ended the place got quieter and less occupied, we were soon about to find out why.

For dinner I ordered the Beef Flat iron steak with Pomme Frits and my husband had Braised Short Ribs and mashed potatoes. My meal came out almost cold, so I had to send it back and then the fries were over crispy when they brought it back. I wish they had given me half the amount of fries and a few steamed veggies. The short ribs were over cooked. Overall, for this to have been my birthday dinner it fell flat. Their saving grace was the view, yummy wine and a delicious cheesecake. Other than that, I don't think we'll be back.