“A Neat Little Place to Visit”

House of Pacific Relations International Cottages
Ranked #211 of 463 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed 11 September 2015

This is a series of cottages representing various nations within the UN. Each one focuses on a country, with a centralized gift shop. The gift shop has arts and crafts from various countries around the world at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, the cottages are only open for 4 hours on Sundays. However, it is still a nice place to visit when you are walking through Balboa Park.

All reviews
"presenting"
"info"
"concert"

Reviewed 28 August 2015

This is such a cool concept although we were not fortunate enough to see any of the festivals that ch country hosts. I love the unity this creates.

Reviewed 19 January 2015

Sunday afternoons these cottages open to the public. They offer information about each country and some have coffee, tea or pastries for a donation. In the China cottage, we got our names printed beautifully in Chinese characters. We had tea and scones in England, listened to the bagpipes in Scotland and learned that 'Leg godt' means play well in Danish and that is how Legos got their name. It is a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

In Balboa park we came across this. Great place. Many countries represented. We attended on a Polish weekend. Each weekend is sponsored by a different culture/country. Each cottage is staffed by Volunteers either interested in or of that heritage. Music, dancing, food, culture and a good time with friendly people.

1  Thank Shawn C
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I live in San Diego, and have my entire life. I've been to pretty much every "sight seeing" places in this city. Not many places interest me here anymore, but this little section of Balboa Park is an exception.

Not sure what it is, but I do hang out here often.
Perhaps it's the fact that each little cottage represents its respective country and brings a little bit of their vibe here. On Sunday's the houses open up for a few hours, and they usually have snacks available for donation. You can talk to the folks working there, and since most of them are from the country represented, you can learn things and hear cool stories.

In December, the entire park has a weekend full of holiday cheer, known as December Nights. During this festival, all the international cottages go full blown on the food and drinks, you can order full plates of food, as well as, deserts and such.

I'm a globe trotter, and when I'm here in my home town, it's nice to come hang out with folks from around the globe.

2  Thank soulprojector