House of Pacific Relations International Cottages
Review Highlights
A Classic from the 1930's lives on

Volunteers keep this iconic element in Balboa park going; on a weekend you might find many open... read more

Reviewed 11 September 2018
onetravelman
sacramento
wonderful cotteges

This was a lucky find while we were walking in Balboa Park - our first time in San Diego. Stumbled... read more

Reviewed 3 June 2018
MrsWayfarer
Makati, Philippines

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around San Diego
from US$18.00
from US$18.00
from US$48.00
More Info
All reviews each cottage few hours balboa park donation exposition culture info concert volunteers
Reviewed 28 August 2015

This is such a cool concept although we were not fortunate enough to see any of the festivals that ch country hosts. I love the unity this creates.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed 19 January 2015

Sunday afternoons these cottages open to the public. They offer information about each country and some have coffee, tea or pastries for a donation. In the China cottage, we got our names printed beautifully in Chinese characters. We had tea and scones in England, listened to the bagpipes in Scotland and learned that 'Leg godt' means play well in Danish and that is how Legos got their name. It is a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Date of experience: January 2015
Reviewed 11 May 2014

In Balboa park we came across this. Great place. Many countries represented. We attended on a Polish weekend. Each weekend is sponsored by a different culture/country. Each cottage is staffed by Volunteers either interested in or of that heritage. Music, dancing, food, culture and a good time with friendly people.

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank Shawn C
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I live in San Diego, and have my entire life. I've been to pretty much every "sight seeing" places in this city. Not many places interest me here anymore, but this little section of Balboa Park is an exception.

Not sure what it is, but I do hang out here often.
Perhaps it's the fact that each little cottage represents its respective country and brings a little bit of their vibe here. On Sunday's the houses open up for a few hours, and they usually have snacks available for donation. You can talk to the folks working there, and since most of them are from the country represented, you can learn things and hear cool stories.

In December, the entire park has a weekend full of holiday cheer, known as December Nights. During this festival, all the international cottages go full blown on the food and drinks, you can order full plates of food, as well as, deserts and such.

I'm a globe trotter, and when I'm here in my home town, it's nice to come hang out with folks from around the globe.

2  Thank soulprojector
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Reminds me of It's a Small World at Disneyland. Every culture is depicted as a stereotype; very shallow with no depth. Not a good educational experience for that reason.

2  Thank spyyyyyke