Hostelling International San Diego Downtown
La Valencia Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$348
US$261
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Bayfront(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$583
US$510
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Bay Club Hotel & Marina(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$163
Official Hotel
US$379
US$224
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$248
  • Room Service
Kings Inn San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$134
Agoda.com
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$225
  • Pool
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
US$328
US$299
  • Beachfront
All reviewsgaslamp quarterprivate bathgreat locationdorm roomgreat kitchencommon areasfree breakfastclean sheetsstayed here for nightscentral locationfantastic staythe gas lamp districtenjoyed my staynoiseearplugsnightliferoommates
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My second visit (each in Dec). HI Market Street continues to be an excellent place for me. Close to Gas Lamp activities, waterfront, grocery, bus route. Happy engaging staff...especially like the efficient service with a smile from Beau. Rooms good, healthy breakfast, entertaining TV room, et al. Go for it!

Right around the corner is Bike-Revolution where you can get a bike all day for special hostel rate of only $15 (no tax). I would recommend you bike all the way to Point Cabrillo along the waterfront. Really beautiful and not too bad in terms of work-out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
agmdowntown, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Always great to hear from a return customer! We are consistently improving, so we are glad when people come back and see how much better we have become. Thanks for the great review, and the returning business.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hostelling International San Diego Downtown is always reliable when I need to stay downtown. The staff are particularly friendly and helpful. Perfect for when you're partying; not as ideal for early rising.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms are much quieter are night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you very much for your business and then taking the time to review us! It was great having you stay with us and you're welcome back any time you return to San Diego.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I love this place and stay here every time I pass through San Diego, Staff is great, prices are the best, wonderful location. The age range is rather remarkable (I am 63). If you have to sleep with strangers, this is the place to do it. Sometimes people complain about things like chairs that don't match in the kitchen and the old-but-comfy sofas, and I tell them to go pay hotel prices.

Room Tip: ask for one away from the noise of the bar scene
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Thank you so much for the review and positive travelling attitude! I hope you have the opportunity to come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

A friend and I recently enjoyed this great hostel. I had not stayed in a hostel for 40 years; it was my friend's first hostel stay. We were greeted by very friendly and competent desk steaff, who signed us in quickly. Our room was great - very spacious and clean - and the hostel location was very central to many San Diego attractions. If other hostels are as great as this one in the Gas Lamp District of San Diego, I be a regular visitor with my new Senior Membership!

Room Tip: Some quiet rooms available away from the busy street action.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
agmdowntown, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Wonderful! I am extremely happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and not only that, but you have reinvigorated your passion for hostelling. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments, and your business. Please come back the next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

I liked this hostel a lot. It was in an excellent location just of Market Street and 5th in pretty much the centre of the Gas Lamp District. Half an hour walk from Baloba Park, 15 minuts from the Sea Port Village then onto the Martime Musuems. Very lively area at night so could be a little noisey but oh well, you're in a hostel! Ralph's supermarket is only a few blocks away for the food - and ask to borrow the Ralph's card to save your money!

The hostel itself was clean and tidy. The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. Knew a lot about the city and places to go/eat. There is a board behind the front desk with 'what's happening today' in the city updated each morning with info like farmers markets, cheap eats and sports game information. The toilets and showers were clean, and didn't have to queue once to use them. The kitchen was large enough for several people cooking at once to do it comfortable, although fridge space was a little low. The free breakfast was scrumptious :-). TV room, comfortable - although a couple of sofas were a little broken, but all in all an excellent hostel. I'm not sure I can even find a down point. Nope, all good. I'd really would recommend staying here, I'd come back if I'm ever in San Diego.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
agmdowntown, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Thank you so much for the great review, and your business. It is our goal to keep improving and to eventually become one of the best hostels and travel resources there is. Hope to see you again the next time you are in San Diego. Thanks again for the review and the business.