“My First Time in a Sushi Bar”
Review of Ebisu Sushi Bar

Ebisu Sushi Bar
Ranked #1,296 of 5,485 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$15 - US$100
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 5 August 2016

i was with a group of coworkers, all of which really like sushi. I hadn't really had it before (I don't count cruise ship sushi) but was willing to give it a try. My first reaction upon entering Ebisu Sushi Bar was to be taken aback by the fishy smell. Since it was my first time in a sushi bar, I wasn't sure if that was normal. Despite that, I was impressed with the large variety of menu items. I'm sure there's got to be something for everybody. I chose to have Crunchy for $10. It consisted of shrimp tempura with avocado, sauce and sesame seeds. It was quite good. I also ordered a salmon hand roll for $6. It consisted of raw salmon and veggies. That evening I learned that sushi is not my thing. I didn't want to finish my hand roll and ended up giving it to my coworker who really enjoyed it.

The service was adequate. There was about about ten of us in our group and it seemed to take a long time to get our food. I only saw one chef preparing the sushi behind the sushi bar. Perhaps that was the reason for the long wait.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Very friendly staff and the food is good. Also, they are opened later than allmost any other place in the area.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

Met some friends for happy hour - well we didn't really know they had one till we got there but it was a good surprise.

They have a pretty good selection of handrolls, actually they selection is quite big. Some are pretty out there and some normal ones you'll find at most sushi places.

Their hot plates are also pretty good and tasty. It's definitely a everyday sushi bar and nothing special but you will get a pretty good meal.

The most interesting part of the meal was the dessert as that was really bizarre - they had this unagi tempura with green tea ice cream that just to me was nasty :) but my boyfriend loved it. i felt that the green tea and the sweet sauce that goes with the unagi clashed. anyway, this was definitely original.

Service was great and the waitresses were super friendly and definitely accommodating to all our requests.

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

I took the family of 4 to ebisu and found some great options for all. The kids went for some gyoza and California rolls.

The adults went for a variety of items. My personal favorites were the tuna and eggs and the scallops from the special menu. Surprisingly, the scallops from the regular menu were a miss.

Reviewed 1 November 2015

Small. Quiet. Happy hour was great with good prices. Our server was wonderful. Very friendly and attentive. I have special dietary restrictions and she was able to make the necessary substitutions to our nigiri and roll orders to accommodate. Fish was fresh and choices were plenty.