“My weekly "out with the boys" spot”
Review of Pho T Cali

Pho T Cali
Ranked #1,461 of 5,274 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 19 March 2015

I go here every week. Nice, tasty food. I usually don't get the pho but get 83 and 93 instead. Those are noddle with meat and veggies. This stuff is very flavorful. The rolls (egg, spring or pork) are to die for esp. when used with the dipping sauces. I cannot vouch for the pho noodle soup stuff because I only had it once years ago. It was good but I don't know how it compares to other places. I think the service is good. Some of the staff are more attentive than others, but that happens anywhere. Also, the curry chicken is interesting. Not what you think when you hear curry chicken. It's chicken on the bone in a creamy curry soup and it falls off the bone. You spoon that over to your plate of rice and enjoy. I think the price is a bargain.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Have been going here for years. Excellent Salad rolls, egg rolls, Pho and Bun. Efficient and friendly service. Have not tried very many other items. Pho is great in winter and Bun (cold noodle salad) is best in summer. Both are very satisfying!

1  Thank pinacoleggo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

good food, but a little unusual flavor combinations. The spring rolls had both shrimp and beef in them. It was good, but they were not not my favorites. They also seemed to be shy on spicing up the food. I liked the flavors, but I had to add my own hot sauce.

1  Thank prefbid60
Reviewed 22 March 2014

A very dear friend of my daughter's - part of her mommy group - and of Chinese heritage - suggested a trip to have Pho and then grocery shopping at the nearby 99 Ranch Market (Asian). So we set the date and we went.

Another 20 minute drive - you can get anywhere in San Diego in 20 minutes - and we were there. And another storefront restaurant in a strip mall. Yawn. But pretty standard in this region.

So we walked through the door into a nondescript restaurant and were promptly seated at a nondescript table. I'm not familiar with pho so none of the menu jumped off the page at me. BUt I do recognize meat so I ordered a bowl of noodles (pho) with slices of meat. The meat was tough and laced with fat, but I was informed that it was what gave the dish flavor. Okay. I could get the same with beef bouillon.

The spring rolls were good and I'm a sucker for peanut sauce, although I had to ask for more, which they willingly brought.

I can't begin to recite what our party ordered. Loosely translated from the Vietnamese, it was noodles. And that in a nutshell is what we had. Noodles. $58 plus tip for a party of three adults and three children, all of whom had noodles. So cheap enough, but not as cheap as Top Ramen.

Upside? We went grocery shopping across the street on a full stomach. That's always a win-win!

2  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stopped by with my mother for lunch.
It was during lunch so the place was busy. We ordered an apetizer of spring rolls to share but the server, a man who seemed grouchy, gave us only one small saucer of dipping sauce. I asked him for one more. He walked away mumbling his unhappiness within my ear shot. Then came back with another dipping sauce but he literally threw it at us, on the table. My mother and I felt mistreated. The server seemed careless.
I will not go back.