All reviews pacific beach world famous restaurant sunset suite ocean view sound of the waves within walking distance awesome location an older hotel great room la jolla surfers balcony umit parking pb earplugs sd
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

The hotel is very clean and affordable. It is seconds from the beach and just down from the pier. It has awesome restaurants surrounding it. Close to bars and liquor stores. The rooms are decent sized and quite. We stayed right next to the pool and you couldn't even tell! The staff tho, thats the reason we will be coming back! The assistant general manager (I can't recall his name), was outstanding. Our flight got cancelled and he helped us contact the airlines and find a place to stay. Working in the hotel industry you don't always see customer service like this! Between him and Carla at the front desk, they make us feel more welcome and comfortable there than we could have ever asked for. They are the definition of what customer service means and this hotel is so lucky to have them!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2016

Thank you for following up with your review. Umit is the Assistant General Manager and his entire career is generously sprinkled with stories of his going above and beyond for guests. He has brought that level of service and more importantly trains the team on this type of service. Thank you for recognizing both he and Carla. I am excited to share this with them. Lastly, thank you for choosing the Surfer. We look forward to having you back as a guest.

Reviewed 16 April 2016

Great location, great beach, great restaurants, and fabulous staff. Right on the beach, and everything that we wanted.

Loved being able to leave our balcony door open, and hear the waves crashing on the beach all night.

Plenty to do within walking distance, and all of the San Diego activities just a short drive away.

Now if we could have eliminated the rain and clouds.......

Room tip: All rooms have a view of the beach. Upper floors a little better view.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2016

David, I am happy to read your stay was just as good in spite of the rain. I am happy to report it has gone just as soon as it came and we are back to that warm SoCal sunshine.

Thanks for choosing the Surfer!

Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

We had a blast staff was awesome Carl.a Heather both made our trip smooth. Right on the beach, plenty of food in walking distance, friendly people everywhere, gotta rent bikes and cruise the entire board walk takes less than a hour. Surfers everywhere great family spot. SURFER BEACH HOTEL right in the perfect spot.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thanks for the great review Tiffany! Carla and Heather are great team members, thanks for recognizing them here. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. Thanks for choosing the Surfer!

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Clean and affordable. Staff is very nice and accommodating. Interesting to note...there are no air conditioning units in the rooms. You don't really need air conditioning if you sleep with the patio door open. There is a stand up fan in the room if you need it. We slept just fine. This hotel was a great find!

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2016

Thanks for the five stars! We appreciate your review. I totally agree that there is not really a need for air conditioning most of the year. The ocean provides the best kind of air conditioning with it's consistent breezes. This year we are planning on supplementing those fresh breezes for those without ocean view rooms by adding AC's. By June 1st, all Standard (non-ocean view) rooms will be equipped with AC's. Thanks for choosing the Surfer!

Reviewed 11 April 2016

Where do I start... I have 3 small children and we were looking for a nice hotel right on the beach with an ocean view. What we go was a lot more! The staff at this hotel is amazing! I've never dealt with such great people at any other hotel I've stayed at. When I asked my kids what they liked the best they said "we loved the hot cocoa in the lobby, the elevator, races back to our hotel room, the pool, the beach lounge chairs, and the view!!" The staff was quick to help when help was needed; the handle on the bathroom door was a little hard for my kids to open and they fixed it right away. The room was perfect for a family of five to stay in. We got a room with a king size bed and a fold out couch. The bathroom had a nice size shower so I could throw all my kids in there and shower them off after a day at the beach. You walk off the hotel's property right onto Mission beach (crossing the boardwalk). There is super yummy food really close by; pizza, sandwich, breakfast food, tacos, shaved ice, cool bars, lounges, seafood and much more,.. really anything you could want all right there. At night people would make fires on the beach which was fun to watch. My husband and I really loved opening up the balcony door and listening to the waves all night! There was also a guy selling these awesome glow-in-the-dark flying toys that my kids absolutely loved playing with on the beach. Each time we would go to the beach, they had an outdoor shower and place to wash off all the sand and a great pool for us to play in. The pool was great because the waves were a little too much for my little ones to actually swim in. The sand on mission beach is really fine and perfect for playing in and building sand castles. What a great hotel!! It really made our stay relaxing and so enjoyable. Thank you GUYS!! The Leetham Family

Room tip: Try to get a ocean view room centrally located in the hotel, that way you can watch the sunset from you balcony.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Loni L

Dear Leetham Family,

Thank you for bringing your cute, well-behaved, loving family to the Surfer and sharing the good vibes. It's always a pleasure to host guests who seem to squeeze as much fun as there is from their vacation. Being around that all day makes our jobs so rewarding. Thanks for choosing the Surfer! We would love to have you back again.