“Can't Beat the Zoo”

San Diego Zoo with Transport from Anaheim
Ranked #2 of 445 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Love the gorillas and the snakes! The SD Zoo is a great place for any age. There is an old school carousel, that I used to ride 44 years ago and also an little train around the park. Great spot for all!

Reviewed 8 March 2012

loved it...the staff was so good at providing good customer service and the place was very well taken care of.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Liked the zoo okay, but we got suckered in to buying the "backstage pass" at the tune of $100 each. Backstage pass was a mere private pet parade. They traipsed some exotic animals onto and across the stage in front of us and gave us photo opts by allowing us to stand near the platform box the animal was on.

We DID get to feed the rhino and touch a kangaroo, but I was expecting more interaction with others animals, not just a private viewing. The positive is my money went toward the care and conservation of the animals. So make your own decision. I know I wouldn't have done it had I known. Would have preferred to donate my money without the cheesy parade.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

you could spend days there and still not be bored with the offerings.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a nice zoo, lots to see/do. If you don't mind a drive I would say the Safari park in Escondido outshines the zoo though.

1  Thank coastaltransplant