“Great value”

Super 8 Topeka At Forbes Landing
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This was an excellent hotel for the price. We race frequently at Topeka and had been staying at a dive down the road. A fellow racer told us to look into prices at the super 8. When we factored in the cost for pets super 8 was cheaper and MUCH nicer. The staff was very friendly and was quick to meet our needs. The hotel was full all three nights we stayed and seemd to be staffed adequately to meet guest needs and keep breakfast going. I have stayed in many hotels and run the gammit from 2 star to 5. This place is as clean as a Hilton. For someone who is looking for a clean place to lay their head and take a shower with their four legged buddies, it doesn't get better for the price.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Nicole A
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Topeka At Forbes Landing

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Our room was clean and the staff were wonderful. The complimentary Continental breakfast had many choices. We used their indoor pool and had a lovely time. We will use this hotel if we ever need a hotel room in Topeka again.

Room Tip: First floor is nonsmoking and there was no smoke odor in them
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This hotel is not a 4, not a 3, not even a 2, really. Sure, the hotel is very nice, has good curb appeal, and the rooms are nice and clean, but that is where the positives end. When we arrived there were several very scetchy men loitering around the lobby. This may not be the hotel's fault, but it goes to show the clientile this place attracts. The strip club another reviewer mentioned isn't even a half mile away, it's on the other side of the Subway, which is very nice but only 100 feet from the hotel. One of the men even stopped by our car parked just outside and was checking it out, and we had to go out and shoo him away. I did not feel safe leaving my car in the lot at ALL, considering it is poorly lit and no one would see someone breaking into it. The smoking area is right outside the door, so we were swarmed by the smell as we brought in our luggage. The room was nice...until it filled with a smoke smell. My clothes reeked of it the next day and I woke up with red and swollen eyes. The lobby also reeks of smoke because of the people smoking right outside of it. Then, around 11pm, our neighbors came in and were so noisy it woke my father up, who is half-deaf. Again not Super 8's fault that they were slamming doors and screaming, but if the hotel were better insulated and lacked paper thin walls, then we would not have heard them. Also, the parking lot was almost empty, so why not spread out the guests in the rooms to make it more enjoyable? I guess for the price it may be worth it for some, but you can spend $10 more and get a much nicer experience.

Room Tip: Choose a third floor room. We were on the second floor and constantly heard people walking above us...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank snshinec123
S8ForbesLandingTopKS, Owner at Super 8 Topeka At Forbes Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

It is difficult to know how to respond to the comments made by this guest. We are a six year old property that won national recognition by Super 8 the year we opened for our unprecedented quality of construction and design. We have never had any complaints about ‘paper-thin’ walls or sound problems. Our construction is second to none in design and quality.
There is a bar on the frontage road near the hotel. However, 100’ will barely get you into our parking lot. The bar patrons are not allowed to utilize our parking lot and the patrons of the bar do not patronize our hotel. We have taken great pride in insuring a quality stay for all of our guests and that extends to insuring that unseemly patrons are sent elsewhere. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to respond to the insulation that some ‘sketchy’ guests were in the lobby. The demographics of our clientele are primarily business and professional people. We are also the host hotel for our local hockey franchise and house all of the visiting teams that come to Topeka to play hockey. How people dress in the evening and what they look like should be no reflection on the quality of their personality or success in life. In attempting to review the video of this particular time frame I can only tell you that I have not been able to identify ANY ‘sketchy’ people loitering in the lobby.
Per the terms of our franchise, I am required to provide 15% of my rooms as smoking rooms. When the property was built all of the smoking rooms except for one were placed on the third floor by design. No smoking is permitted anywhere in the building and our staff regularly polices this to insure that smoking is confined to those rooms designated as smoking or it is done outside. It is a requirement of the Super 8 franchise that no smoking occurs within 20’ of any door. Does this ever get violated? Probably so, especially if it is raining or snowing but we do our best to police it so it is not a problem. I am a non-smoker and have a strong allergy to cigarette smoke so I am the first to notice if there is smoke in an area that there should not be.
Since our opening, we have consistently received quality scores from Super 8 corporate that are in the top 1% to 2% of all Super 8’s in the system. That doesn’t come from being lazy or inattentive to guest concerns.
Our parking lot lighting has been tested and is more than adequate. Every aspect of our lot is well-lighted and the safety of our guests is paramount. Our location is on the south end of Topeka Blvd which is primarily a business and light industrial area. The crime in our particular area of Topeka is less than any other geographic area of the city. Since our opening in 2005, we have only had one incident in our parking lot related to a vehicle. No other hotel in Shawnee County can make that statement. We take great pride in our guest safety record and it will take second to no other property in town.
The guest did not say anything in their review about the staff or the level of service provided by the staff so I can only assume that none of their concerns were ever relayed to the staff. My hope is that I will have the opportunity to discuss this guests concern in a one-on-one conversation and be provided the opportunity to show them that we are a class property worthy of their respect. My offer for a free night’s stay stands to them any time they would like to return.

A. Kurt Young
Owner/GM

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Although the neighborhood appears "seedy" I was most impressed with the quality, organization cleanliness and service during our overnight stay. The owner is also the manager we found out when complimenting the night desk person. Our dog was welcomed with a dog biscuit and my husband enjoyed a homemade waffle at the free enhanced continental breakfast. Hope to stay there on our way back.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Napermab
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family has stayed here several times since the place opened, usually over the holidays, and have always had great, friendly service here. Our most recent stay was over Christmas, and again everything was wonderful. I noticed a previous review that shared concerns about the "neighborhood" and surrounding establishments. I wouldn't worry yourself over it. I grew up in this area and still have family and friends living/working in this part of the city, and no one's ever shared any cause for concern about this side of the city. Sure, it's older, but that's part of the charm. Besides, it's right next to Heartland Park Race Track, so you can't get any better than that.

The motel staff is courteous and attentive, the rooms are always fresh and clean. On our drive in, we called to let the staff know we wouldn't be arriving till around two o'clock in the morning, and to find out if that was ok. They said absolutely. Once we arrived and made it to our room, we realized they had come in and turned on the room heater for us ahead of time, so it was nice and toasty when we walked in. Good thing, because it was really cold that night in Topeka.

The lobby is great and is always decorated beautifully (especially at Christmas). They have Wi-Fi, and a public computer in the lobby if you don't have yours. The indoor pool is available if you're interested. They also have some nice meeting rooms for business groups/events.

They offer great rates (I'm not sure what the other reviewer was talking about when she said it wasn't what she was expecting for the price. Bollocks.) Their breakfast is top-notch and always good. Fresh waffles you can make on an actual waffle iron (not the frozen kind), various types of danishes, biscuits and gravy (my favorite), coffee, juice, milk, cereal, yogurt, and even some fresh fruit.

They are also pet friendly, which is a must for us as we travel a lot with our pooch. The motel may be on the south side of the city, but this is Topeka (not Dallas/Fort Worth, where we live) and you can get anywhere in just minutes. I have no problems with the location. If you like exploring local restaurants, try Pat's Pig BBQ or Banjos Cafe which are right next door. We like to eat there too. They're small, "mom & pop" type places, which we love and they have good food.

We have stayed here 8 or 9 times now and have never had any issues or complaints. I highly recommend it if you are visiting Topeka for any length of time.

Room Tip: Any room is great, we've stayed in many.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple