“Really "pea'd" off”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Roxbury
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

My wife ordered takeout for us this evening. I wanted Indonesian Fried Rice w/o mushrooms. We were unsure
whether the peas listed were the usual snow peas or green
peas. When my wife called in the order, she asked about
the peas. The woman who took the order was unclear about
the peas but ultimately agreed with my wife's understanding
that we'd be getting snow peas. When my wife got home I
discovered there were dozens of baby green peas staring up
at me! I had to go through the whole dish & remove all the peas
which make me sick. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy!!!
I called the restaurant and spoke to the manager who was
very apologetic and offered a replacement right away - not an option at that time or a credit for the same dish on a future
order. I told her I'd think about it. I appreciate the fact that
she was trying to make their mistake right, but the whole
experience left a bad taste in my mouth - literally!

Peas get my order right!

Jim M
Dedham, MA

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 5 February 2017

A step up from a lot of the other local Thai restaurants. Ate with a big group and so got to sample some lobster tail soup (unexpectedly sweet and coconuty), the duck, beef macadamia, drunk noodles with tofu, chicken pineapple cashew, and, of course, pad thai, all delicious with more complex flavors than you might usually expect. The sticky rice with shredded pork app was my favorite dish. Maybe not as authentic (I'm no expert and I don't love super spicy Thai), but works on the yumminess scale for me.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 31 December 2016

I've been here twice, once for dine-in and one for take out. Service was timely but unattentive. Had a fare sampling of menu items each time as I was sharing with three others. The entrees were all uninspired. Overly simplistic and understated flavors are not what Thai cuisine is about. When the mango duck description says crispy, I expect crispy. It wasn't. The sauce was tasteless.Steamed broccoli constitutes tho-thirds the volume of the dish. They don't even have broccoli in Thailand. At $16 bucks I expect, you know, half a duck. And they charge extra for white rice with an entree? That is sacrilege in Thai cuisine. The coconut chicken soup, which I gauge a Thai restaurant on since they all serve it, was one dimensional and bland. All I tasted was broth, coconut and sugar. No characteristic galanga, kefir lime leaf, lime juice, hot chili or chicken flavor. I have made better at home with a recipe off the internet.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

The Magical Seafood is excellent, a combination of spicy and sweet. Great service, too. Be sure to order the brown rice.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 23 August 2016

Okay, I'll admit it: when I think of Thai food, I do not think of West Roxbury, MA. I grew up in the West Roxbury/Roslindale area, and while there were plenty of Chinese food restaurants, I don't recall any that served Thai. These days, the area has changed for the better-- more variety, more choices-- and Phuket is certainly a good example of this trend.

Phuket was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the area and goes there frequently. It's a small restaurant, and I immediately noticed it does a very busy takeout business. But there are tables, and the servers are friendly. The menu was quite extensive, and there were both luncheon specials and a regular menu with larger-sized servings.

While you can find traditional Thai offerings like pad thai (which my friend had, and she said it was really good), there are also dishes like grilled salmon and garlic; honey spareribs; and shrimp with cashew nuts, red peppers, mushrooms, and snow peas. I had mango duck and was very pleased that the sauce did NOT overpower the flavor of the meat. The servings were so big that neither of us had room for dessert, but I am told the mango mousse is worth trying.

My one (small) complaint is parking-- it's mostly on-street, although there are a few lots nearby. Prices were very reasonable. I hope that I can come back to Phuket again to try some of their other dishes-- as I said, I didn't expect to find a good Thai restaurant in the West Roxbury area, but I'm glad to know now that one definitely exists!

Date of visit: August 2016

Been to Phuket Thai Restaurant? Share your experiences!