“Good choice for exploring Boston”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good choice for exploring Boston”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed overnight at this hotel before my flight back to the UK. The location is excellent - it is within walking distance of the main attractions of Boston and just steps from Back Bay station which has MBTA and commuter train links.

I was pleased with everything about the hotel apart from one minor encounter. When I went back to collect my luggage I think I must have encountered the same front desk guy as the previous reviewer because, in contrast to the other lovely staff at the hotel, he wasn't a particularly good advert for the hotel. He was dealing with another customer, fair enough, but when I approached the desk, and waited, and waited - he didn't even acknowledge me. Evenutally he did ask if anyone was helping me and said he would be with me shortly. But when he finished with the other customer he answered the phone and had a long conversation leaving me still waiting. It's a shame really, because until then I had been absolutely delighted with everything about the hotel and in particular the lovely staff.

I think I spoke to 3 ladies at the front desk during my stay for check in, directions and then to leave my luggage. All 3 were very helpful, friendly and couldn't do enough to help.They stored my luggage on my check out day while I went sightseeing in Boston which was much appreciated - they had a ticket system which was very efficient and indicates that they do this routinely which is an excellent service.

The room was small but there was only me in it and it was clean, comfortable and everything worked. The security is very high - you need to use a room key to use the lift - something which I think is important in a city hotel and which I found reassuring. The hotel's wifi is complimentary and I got a good signal in my room and in the lobby.The hotel is also non-smoking throughout which I appreciated as a non-smoker.

The hotel has character as an older building which has been refurbished but I think that's a positive thing. So overall, I would recommend Hotel 140 and I'll stay there again next time I'm in Boston.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AngelaTh
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Angela,

Hello and thank you for your detailed review of your visit with Hotel 140. I am so delighted to hear that you were able to explore Back Bay and Boston with us as your landing point each day. Our location and close proximity to both public transportation and outstanding tourists’ attraction is a wonderful feature. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the mixture of 'old world charm' with updated features and amenities. We are so proud of the historic heritage of our building.

Thank you for your comments on the pleasant staff members you encountered as well as your observations of a staff member that would benefit from additional training. The hospitality profession certainly requires the ability to multi-task as there can often be many guests to attend to quickly and sporadically. We are always excited to help improve the passionate dedication to these skills amongst our team.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally on your next visit to Boston. We look forward to accommodating you.

Cheers,
Emily A.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Middlebury, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here 3/21/12-3/24/12 while attending a conference. The location was perfect for my needs and the room, while a bit small, worked out perfectly. My room did show a little wear but not enough for me to give this place a poor review. My interactions with the staff were pleasant. Overall, a great place to stay with affordable rates in comparison to the other high-priced joints in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The manager of the hotel was extremely kind, professional and accommodating. However, the guy at the front desk seemed to be having a bad day. I travel a great deal and have been in and out of many hotels. I'm aware you can't have everything "perfect" to your liking and in saying that, I've over looked minor imperfection here and there. At this hotel, the condition of the room just couldn't be overlooked. Torn and weathered pillows, stains and more. Depressing. I moved to another hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank 88travelpal
Bethlehem, PA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Relatively small room but perfectly adequate for 1 person. Very clean (and I did check for bedbugs). Exceptionally helpful, pleasant and courteous front desk staff. Good location - half a block from a T station, and within reasonable walking distance to the Theatre district. One minor complaint - no ledge in the shower stall for soap & shampoo/conditioner bottles. I had to store these on the top of the shower walls, which is not a problem if you're 6'2" like me, but if you're 5'2" you'll probably have to reach down to the floor to retrieve these things.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend on a holiday to Boston. I would highly recommend this hotel, we were delighted we chose to stay here. Location was perfect for exploring Boston. Room was spacious and bed extremely comfortable - great nights sleep. The room was very clean and quiet. The best thing however was the staff, they were so friendly, helpful and accomodating - especially Israel and Joe. They really made us feel at home and wanted to help in any way they could. This led to a homely, relaxed atmosphere. Highly recommend this hotel to everyone, no negatives

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear KR,

Thank you for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled you found your room to be spacious and bed comfortable. But we are most thrilled that you enjoyed the great service provided by Israel and Joe. It is such a generous compliment to see these professionals mentioned by name within this forum and their hard work recognized.

Thank you!