“Just a cool little place with great food”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I think this is just one of the coolest restaurants in the North End. I lived in the NE for years, and it was so nice to get a restaurant that wasn't Italian.
If you can get in to Neptune Oyster, please do so. You will not be disappointed. The food always excellent; but the ambiance is what takes it over the edge.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

If you accept to stand in line, the place directly near the toilet, crowd and unpleasant service speaking, that "you can go out if you do not like it", then oysters and crabs are excellent.

1  Thank Roman1956
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Small place. Didn't take reservations for 6 people. Did automatically charge 20% tip for overpriced food, slow service when it wasn't even crowded. 4 of us had lobster rolls and was definitely over priced and overrated. Wished I tried one of the other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Neptune Oyster is truly special, on Salem Street right off the new park. Quintessential New England seafood! Beautiful marble and brass oyster bar atmosphere serving terrific oysters from both coasts, but the local MA oysters are lip-smacking fresh. This is a small place with bar and nice marble tables. If you're an oyster lover, this is part of the Boston Trinity along with Island Creek Oyster Bar and B&G Oysters. Don't miss it!

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I went for a late (very) lunch/early dinner earlier this month because I have been wanting to try Neptune for some time. My subject line above isn't totally accurate - of course the food would have been terrific even if we hadn't read TripAdvisor reviews first. That said, it was incredibly helpful because we knew what to expect and that added to how wonderful our experience was. We were ready to take advantage of going between peak hours so we wouldn't have a long wait - by the time we had sipped not even half of our hot drinks at the cafe down the street, the restaurant called and our table was ready! We were ready for sitting in this quaint little gem next to other customers - all the better to see what they are eating so we could make our decisions! I even asked our 'neighbor' if I could take a photo of her hot lobster roll and she happily obliged!
Our server was friendly and knowledgeable if not a bit harried because the place gets so busy - we were impressed at how he had to literally squeeze himself between tables to serve people!
We had Nauset and Kumamoto oysters to start - Kumamotos have been my faces for years and they did not disappoint! Nausets were also good and the oysters were so fresh! The mignonette was delicious. We also tried the Neptunes on Piggyback appetizer - interesting and different for a first try. Entrees - my husband had the seafood cioppino and I had the rib eye (I know, sacrilege to eat beef in a seafood place as good as Neptune Oyster?) The cioppino was excellent - note they describe it as a spicy stew and it is, so be prepared as it has a good amount of heat which my husband loves. I ordered the ribeye because I had read another review that stated it was such a delicious steak and I was so happy I ordered it! I was 'jonesing' for some iron and rarely cook steaks at home - perfectly cooked, flavorful, delicious "vinaigrettey" salad on top with crisply cooked haricot verts, and excellent frites! Next time we'll have more oysters and want to try Island Creek, and have a seafood entree now that I've had my beef craving satisfied! Go with the mindset of being social and friendly and you will enjoy it, which we did and so did most others we saw around us (not spacious enough for a quiet romantic private experience).

2  Thank Debi M

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!