“Travel to Europe. Spectacular Cappuccino -- best in the North End and Delicious Pastry -- Best in the area”
Review of Modern Pastry Shop

Modern Pastry Shop
Ranked #3 of 102 Dessert in Boston
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Try the "Claw". Unimaginably delicious. The Fruit tart, Lemon and Lime tarts are the best and the Macaroons are perfect and the bestI have ever had short of the Plaza Hotel in New York City years ago. Limoncello cake is amazing and my favorite. Expensive but almost in line not even comparable to any other pastry shop in this area. I am told they sell their cakes out of town but do not know exactly where.

It used to be in a small space next door to where it is now. In this newer large space you can sit and eat breakfast and.. Their menu for breakfast is pricey..Downstairs there is a bar and I think it is a great place to have a party. Never met the owner but the staff at Modern Pastry are the nicest ever.

One last thing to try -- the mazapanes which are simply wonderful. They're all piles up In beautiful fruit and veg shapes. Really worth the trip to Modern Pastry and something about it is exactly like Italy with pastry quality like the best in France.

1  Thank designekane
Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Everything here was delicious, we especially loved the cannolis and the creme brulee, good and fast service, reasonable pricing, a great place to go in Boston if you have a sweet tooth, they have a vast selection of mouth watering treats!!

1  Thank Ginny B
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Went with a large group for a little something sweet after our Italian dinner. There was a line, but nothing unreasonable. It just gave us more time to pick out our treats.

I had my mind made up on a fresh cannoli until I saw this pistachio creation under glass close to the register where you order to go. I had no idea what is was or how to pronounce it, but knew it was coming with me. When I ordered I asked for the pistachio thing under glass and I pointed. What I received in return was a hateful smirk and eye roll. Since she didn’t tell me what it was I wasn’t sure if she even heard me. Given her response though I thought it was best to not speak again. Not having ever been to an Italian pastry shop I wasn’t up on my pastry terminology.

She got it and the hubby’s cheesecake. She wrapped it up in a box tied with string and told us how much we owed. I wanted a $10 and a $5 back for change so I added $2 to the $20 my husband gave her. Without a word she wrinkled her nose up like she smelled something bad and flicked the $2 back at me.

With service like that it is a good thing the pastries are good. Maybe she was having a bad night. I have no idea what that pistachio almond nougat thing was, but it was for sure an amazing five bites of nutty sweet goodness.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

We come to this pastry shop every time we come to the North End for lunch. It’s a great place to enjoy coffee or latte’s after a lovely meal. No matter what pastry you pick you will not go wrong. This is the best pastry shop in our opinion. Today we enjoyed a peanut butter cupcake, triple chocolate cake and a creame broule . Amazing!!

Reviewed 18 April 2018

The bakery looks like you've stepped into Europe!!! The breakfasts are excellent as well. They do not have soy or almond mild for your coffee though.

1  Thank Lovinlife57

Been to Modern Pastry Shop? Share your experiences!