“Fantastic potato pancakes”

Cuisines: Polish, Czech, Central European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Boston
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Recently returned to Café Polonia. We heard that it is under new ownership. The meal began with an order of Potato Pancakes, which were fantastic. Unfortunately the meal went down from there. The stuffed cabbage arrived almost cold, which was sent back for a reheat and still arrived not very hot. The sauce on them was basically tomato soup - quite unpleasant. The veal cutlet was a little burned, but pretty good. It came with potato salad and that was quite good. The Goolash was thick, not hot and actually quite unpleasant. Returning visits will be for the potato pancakes and possibly the pierogi's (which are quite nice).

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the courtyard by Marriott in South Boston. I was on line and realized I was in Polish South Boston. I saw cade polonia and decided to give it a try. well, it is the one ofbest polish restaurant in the US . The barszcz,borscht, is just like my grandmother made. I had the goulash with dumplings, and it was amazing. it came with Sauerkraut, and red cabbage. they serve polish beers and wines from France and Italy, no hard liquor. . the menu is extensive. just super. 30 seats. you have to come here....

Reviewed 16 October 2016

We ate there for dinner - every one was happy. Just before leaving town we HAD to go back for lunch. Potato pancakes with slices of smoked salmon was on everyone's list -- and no disappointed folks in this group. When one thinks of the expensive brunch buffets that have smoked salmon (loxs) and then see the amount of beautiful salmon served in this dish you will think you hit the jackpot here. Just excellent.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Our trip to Café Polonia took me back to my Polish roots and childhood. The restaurant was busy on a Friday night and we had to come back in an hour after trying to get in at 7:00 with no reservation. It seemed like one waitress was trying to get it all done and really hustling. All of the dishes we tried were excellently prepared and reminiscent of my Polish grandmothers. The waitress was very friendly. Great selection of traditional foods and some American.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Where do I start?

Thank you TripAdvisor for directing us to this restaurant. I used the app on my phone to locate restaurants near where we were staying which was in South Boston. This place came up as one of the top rated restaurants and I now know why.

We had a group of 5 and we were all hungry. So many things sounded good on the menu and we ended up ordering way too much food. I will try to detail everything below.

Appetizers:
Kielbasa Twists is small cuts of smoked kielbasa that are twisted almost like a pretzel. I do not care what you do with their smoked kielbasa because I will eat every bite. These were smokey flavorful chunks of heaven (for a carnivore).

Breaded Mushroom is just what it sounds like. Medium sized mushrooms breaded and fried. They were flavorful and cooked to perfection.

Salmon Potato Pancakes were amazing. This was a crispy potato pancake with thinly sliced smoked salmon on top. This was another item that was just perfect. The pancakes were crispy with a little flavor of their own and then topped with wonderful smoked salmon.

Mozzarella Salad is sliced tomato, mozzarella and avocado with a special dressing that was flavorful and not overpowering.

Entrees:
Polish Plate is a filling combination of smoked kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut and pierogies. There was so much good food that no one can eat it all after appetizers. The stuffed cabbage was so perfectly prepared; it was tender, flavorful and had just the right combination of rice, vegetables and meat. I personally did not like their sauerkraut but that was because of the seasoning. They did offer me their unseasoned version which was just like my mother used to make; the difference was the seasoned one is a brownish color and the non was almost white.

Boneless Pork Chop was a thinly sliced piece of pork that was breaded and pan fried. This was crispy on the outside but the meat was tender.

Goulash of all the things that we tried was probably my favorite and it went fast. This was a bowl of seasoned meat with sliced red peppers in a thick broth. All that I can say it that it was perfect.

They have a very good selection of Polish beer and various wines to go with your meal.

The last thing that we had to try was the Apple Crisp. This was as good if not better than my mom used to make.

I can almost guarantee that their kitchen has a group of ladies who look like someone's mom and they can cook. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be back to Cafe Polonia the next time that I am in the Boston area.

We were all stuffed after that fantastic meal.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank JeffreyH811

Been to Cafe Polonia? Share your experiences!