“Excellent service”

Cuisines: Diner, Italian, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 29 May 2015 via mobile

Friendly service. Highly recommend the Shrimp Scampi or Lasagna. Plenty of room. Accommodated my handicapped mother.

1  Thank Katherine S

Reviewed 24 May 2015

The sauteed spinach and mushrooms was delicious! My sister ordered the chicken parmesean--she ate the whole thing! also my shrimp on my corn soup were cooked perfectly, but i wish I got more than two. Waitress was very friendly -- not too crowded on a saturday night in may compared to other restaurants! I would go back again

Reviewed 30 April 2015

It seems that when we find a restaurant on Boston's "north end" that we like, they go out of business. Hopefully, this won't be the case with our new "find". We walked down Hanover Street looking at menus in windows. Many were, we thought, very pricy for pasta dishes, and several had lines of people outside waiting to get in. We came upon Caffe Pompei and saw that there was an empty table by the window, it looked nice (table cloths), and the prices were reasonable, so AFTER checking TripAdvisor for reviews and getting positive results, we went in. We were seated immediately at the empty table by the window. There were a few more larger empty tables, and I noticed that there was an additional dining area downstairs. As is the case with most of the restaurants on the north end, the place is not large. It had about 12 tables upstairs with a big bar at the far end of the room. My husband ordered the Gnocchi Sorrentino, and I ordered the Fettuccine Prima Vera with white sauce. We were served 3 big slices of crusty bread to eat while we waited. I saved half of my slice to eat with my meal and was surprised when our server was going to remove it when he brought our meals. The food looked beautiful and tasted delicious. My husband was surprised that he ate the whole thing, but he said it was SO good and felt good in his stomach. I'm not usually a big fan of pasta, but this was really tasty. The noodles were thin and delicate and had a really good flavor. I ate most of my meal, too! Shortly after we were seated the other tables filled and they were showing diners downstairs, but there still wasn't a line even when we left. Our "server" was not "typical". He was an older gentleman who wore dress pants, and a long sleeved colored shirt and tie. He seemed more like one of the owners, or perhaps a family member than a server. He was efficient, but not as outgoing as most servers are. We left the restaurant feeling well satisfied. Our bill was $26.65 plus tip. The tables there are close together. The couple next to us finished their meal about the same time as we did and while we were waiting for our tables to be cleared and pay for our food we had a nice visit with them. As I'm sure you know if you have been to Hanover Street, the only parking is on the street and is VERY limited and the traffic is a nightmare - plan to take the "T" to Haymarket and walk or take a cab.

Reviewed 3 April 2015

Honestly the rudest most pitiful service I have ever encountered in my life. The good was substandard nothing that you wouldn't get anywhere else like Chef Boyardee. Whoever that fat woman is with the short hair she is atrocious. No respect for customers and was very insulting because clearly there was a language barrier. Which begs me to ask why is she in the job that she is in then? Even after being blatantly rude to my crowd she never even smiled to the other patrons. Honestly nasty place and equally nasty service.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Don't miss this charming little restaurant in Boston's North End. My companions and I were wandering along the Freedom Trail and the enticing smells from the multitude of Italian restaurants became overwhelming. We had been reading the menus in front of several restaurants and decided that Cafe Pompei was the place to go. It was a great choice! The food was absolutely delicious. I had the Gnocchi with Sausage, one of my companions had the Chicken Alfredo, and the other had the Fried Calamari. The Gnocchi was delicious, covered in a traditional, homemade marinara with a generous serving of thinly sliced sausage. My friend gave me a bite of her Chicken Alfredo, which was also delicious. The sauce was rich and buttery, and the serving size was more than she could finish. Our other friend said the calamari was very good, but didn't share with us. The dish looked wonderful with the calamari all being large with a nice golden brown light breading. The server was efficient, but did not like having to separate our checks. (We were all on expense accounts and had to send individual bills to our central office.) I would definitely go here again, even with vast number of Italian restaurants in the area. When I find a keeper, I tend to stick with a sure thing!