“Great Place for Pasta and People Watching”

Trattoria Il Panino
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Il Panino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 3,309 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: Hanover Street
Transit: Government Center on the Green Line
Description: Traditional casual italian dining
Reviewed 8 August 2017

There were several outstanding elements of our dinner, including the calamari appetizer (superb!) and the ricotta ravioli (the San Marzano sauce was simply amazing). My spaghetti carbonara was voluminous and perfectly cooked, yet there wasn't much pancetta, so the meat flavor only came through in a few bites. (I would have loved it if there had been more pancetta). The paccheri al ragu was also tasty. The lowlight of the meal was the cappuccino; it was truly dreadful. (Apparently the machine wasn't working properly.) That said, our server took the cappuccino off of our bill and apologized that it wasn't up to snuff. So, overall, a big thumbs up for this restaurant. Tip: if you can get a table in the front window on the Hanover Street section (vs. the old section on Parmenter St. entrance), the "people watching" opportunity is phenomenal! (And it is just down the block from Mike's Pastry, too.)

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My youngest daughter wanted Italian so we made a reservation for 6 at 7.30 on a Monday night. When we got there the restaurant was pretty crowded with people standing in line on the street. They were only seating full parties and since we were missing one we had to wait a little while, finally we got seated and were tended by Michael very ina very friendly kind manner. We ordered meatballs, zucchini flowers and fried calamari for starters all good. As mains dishes we all had different kinds of pasta which were all served in large portions on a special pan. My spaghetti a la vongole was specially good. I recommend eating at this place.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I came here with family for a late lunch. We started with a delicious Caesar salad. For the pastas we had the spicy penne, pesto fettuccine, mushroom ravioli, rigatoni bolognese, they were all decadent dishes! I love how they serve the pasta in a pan with a generous portion. My son had the chicken parmesan, my mom the brick chicken with rapini and my dad had the octopus salad! Everything was honestly very delicious! A very traditional casual Italian restaurant with lots of people. I definitely recommend a reservation. Service was nice and friendly. A very nice find in a great city. It's not a cheap restaurant pasta dishes are 15$ to 25$ but definitely worth a trip.

1  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We tried this restaurant at the recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed. The lobster ravioli with crab was absolutely delicious. Lasagna and chicken parmigiana were good also. Creme brûlée with berries is good but tastes more like a cheesecake. The only negative is we were seated in the basement. It is very dark and loud which made reading menus and dinner conversations difficult. Ask for a different seating area.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

For the money, I would go somewhere else. Our server was slow to greet us, refill drinks, get cheese, etc. The food was ok, not anything better than I could make at home, and it was over 100 dollars for lunch for 4, which I would expect in Boston, but would have liked a better experience. My husband had the beef lasagna, which was a very small portion. I had the chicken parmigana, and I think i got the best meal of all. One child got the cheese ravioli, and said it was, "ok". And the other daughter got a pasta dish she didn't care for. I felt like the servers were preoocupied with the crowd going by on the street, and weren't really attentive. I think you could do better for the money, but you could also do worse. Perhaps that is why , we got seated with no wait? ;-)