“Excellent!”
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 3,453 Restaurants in Boston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We love Chef Jamie Mammano’s restaurants, and Mistral is true to form. Classy atmosphere with high ceilings, long bar, and nice Provence touches in the pastel colors and large translucent pix separating the bar from the main restaurant. Casual elegance. The food is great! A delicious fresh St Germain pea soup with delicate touches of lump crab, and a terrific special of soft-shelled crab with avocado base. We loved the roasted half duckling, one of the best in a long time; crisped, and tender, with smashed sour cherries. Excellent veal medallions with morels. We finished with a vacheron chocolate dessert dedicated to one of their sous chefs who passed on, and the proceeds of it go to his family....that tells you a lot about a place caring for its own. A delicious strawberry rhubarb crostata with ginger ice cream as well. Perhaps the best part of all of it though was the great waitstaff, all very warm, accomodating and professional. We loved Tiffany, our server. She is outstanding; truly one of the great ones.....and as you can see from the number of reviews I have posted, we’ve been around to a lot of places. Thank you Tiffany! We look forward to a return soon to Mistral. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We visited for the first time with some friends who had eaten there a few years ago . The food. service was fabulous . The tables were too close together , it felt as if they had squeezed us in literally, even the waitress had to go walk round three other tables to gain access to each of us . This would put me off returning at the weekend for sure

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

I narrowed our choices down to this restaurant and another French option, and then asked the Ritz Carlton concierge his opinion. He said Mistral is on another level, and he was correct! I enjoyed the Halibut with risotto and was not disappointed. Even the pizza was great and unexpected. Cool relaxed atmosphere, not stuffy in the least bit. I would come again and suggest to others.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

I was taken to Mistral with a team of business colleagues and external support partners for dinner this week. I've eaten at many fine establishments in Boston including Menton, Abe and Louie's, Ostra, Oleana, Eastern Standard, Asta, Scampo, Yvonne's and others, so I am familiar with the food scene there.

As a foodie I am very cautious about reviews and restaurants living on last laurels, or being to costly for the fare, etc.

I thought Mistral was elegant but understated, the service very professional, the wine list pricey (states with liquor boards force much higher wine costs thanks states that don't, as where I live), but the wine by the glass list was functional and diverse. The fact they offered a car service back to the hotel was very impressive and I haven't seen that before. I also thought the pricing was actually very competitive based on the portion size and food quality.

A few noteworthy mentions. The seared foir gras on a cherry reduction sauce, with duck confit and on a small, hollow bread tower was perfectly cooked and slightly more peasant-like in preparation than I've come to expect- which is Provençal style and was perfectly cooked. The glass of Sauternes served with it was about $18 and well worth it, and not terribly expensive.

The Dover Sole was I have to say, hands down the best prepared, thickest, freshest, and richest tasting Dover Sole I've experienced- here or in Europe. Really. The butter sauce was light and airy, the spinach perfectly cooked. And I've eaten at many world class establishments so this is a serious review.

Someone had their sirloin carpaccio with Parmesan shavings and ramps?, and the sliced meat was mouth watering. And the truffle oil on top was evident and and not under-represented which is often the case in similar dishes I've experienced elsewhere.

My Cornish game hen was outstanding. It was practically the entire bird, breast up, and served in a metal roasting pan and in a buttery broth with spinach, garlic, and pancetta for that smokey hint if added flavor. Again, I am a bit shocked as it was the most flavorful interpretation of this simple dish I've had in maybe 20 years.

Even the sides of mashed potatoes and an asparagus-crab risotto were perfectly executed and dish in flavor and texture.

I will be back with my wife the chef and see what she thinks! Mistral is deserving of its excellent reputation from my one time perspective, that's for sure!

1  Thank Ron E
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We picked this restaurant on a recommendation from our hotel. It was a special occasion and we were expecting food and drinks reflected by the prices charged. We were not impressed. The restaurant was not crowded. Seating was comfortable and service was very good. We ordered a moderately priced wine and had steak and Cornish hen for dinner. The food and wine were just OK.