“Boston's No. 1 restaurant?”
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 3,434 Restaurants in Boston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Reviewed 14 September 2017

In preparing for our trip to Boston, my wife and I did considerable research to select a hotel and restaurants. Depending on which culinary survey you believe, either Mistral or Ostra or Davio's is the No. 1 restaurant in town. But, since we were staying at the XV Beacon Hotel, we chose to eat at Mooo on one occasion. When choosing the best restaurants in Boston, Mooo has to be included in the conversation. Coincidentally, chef Jamie Mammano put his distinguished brand on Mooo--and he also opened Mistral in 1997. So we had to see if Mistral is as good as advertised. Yes, indeed. Located at 223 Columbus Avenue in Boston's South End, Mistral is an elegant French bistro that thrives on its French Mediterranean cuisine. And the menu featured some of our personal favorites, including Dover Sole, Branzino and profiteroles. We started with escargot, Caesar salad and Faroe Island salmon tartare. As soon as I spotted Branzino on the menu, I was sold. Since being introduced to the Greek Mediterranean fish a few years ago in Florida, I can't resist ordering it whenever it appears on a menu, which is becoming more and more common. Meaty, full bodied, tender, without a fishy taste, Branzino is one of a kind. My wife opted for Dover Sole with lemon and capers, sauteed spinach and onions and fingerling potatoes. I chose shrimp and tomato risotto for a side. Mistral's list of entrees is very impressive. It's hard to pass up pan roasted halibut, roast rack of Colorado lamb, pan roasted Cornish Game Hen, grilled tenderloin of beef and half whole roasted duck with wild mushroom risotto. For dessert, there was no debate. Whenever profiteroles with vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate sauce is on a menu, we can't pass it up. Even if Belgian chocolate sorbet, warm blueberry Crostata, warm chocolate tarte with vanilla ice cream, creme brulee with raspberries and Valrhona chocolate s'mores cake with roasted marshmallow sauce are so tempting. Yes, Boston is a good restaurant town. It should be more props than it does.

2  Thank Taylor B

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Excellent restaurant. Tuna tartare is terrific. Chilled corn/lobster soup is very good. Flatbreads are fine. Desserts are pretty good. At these prices, would have expected something slightly better. Still a good restaurant, but a hair overpriced for the quality. Service is good.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Came here with my friend who highly recommended this place. We walked in, the place was full but they were able to get us a table for two. We were then given a crusted bread with hummus and butter.. the bread was so good .. crusty on the outside and yet soft and chewy on the inside For starter we had seared foie gras duck confit on brioche, it was delectable and flavorful we also had escargot which was also cooked to perfection, For my main course I chose half roasted duck and mushroom risotto with dried cherry gastrique which I truly enjoyed. The duck was tender and juicy, mushroom risotto was very creamy and tasty. My friend chose Branzino fish with summer vegetable . The fish was cooked pan fried over the vegetables. It was moist and flavorful. We were too full for desserts.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

A very nice French restaurant, with excellent food and great service. All dishes were very well served, tasteful and made to perfection. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Had a wonderful dinner at Mistral. Everything top notch. Will definitely go back for special occasion....

1  Thank hunterlake