“Worst hotel ever”

Royalton Suites
Royalton Suites
Ranked #32 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have never written a review of a hotel before, or any business for that matter, but the Royalton achieved such a degree of poor quality that I was inspired to write. Please do yourself a huge favor and do NOT stay at this hotel. I booked a room for a business trip and left an hour after checking in. I was given a room just above the main lobby--it was quite noisy, but that wasn't the main issue. The bathroom sink was leaking so the bathroom floor would get wet every time I turned on the sink. I decided to ask for a different room. There wasn't one, and the problem wouldn't be fixed until the next day. I decided to leave. I had booked through Booking.com, which requires prepayment and doesn't refund the first night. Because of the mechanical problems in the room, Ravi, the manager at Royalton, agreed to refund me the first night without hesitation. I got back home and never received the first night refund. After numerous calls to Ravi, who claims he has no recollection of ever approving the refund, I have given up. The place is a dump, the employees are crooks, and Ravi is the master crook. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I immediately got a room at the much nicer Sheraton down the street for a lower price than the Royalton. Horrible, horrible, horrible!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Kingtut_101

Reviewed 27 January 2013

I have very mixed, but overall negative, feelings about this hotel.
The location is great, Newbury street is attractive and the hotel is very close to the Heynes Convention Center and the underground station. There is a small but adequate Italian (super)market just across the street (with a nice wine cellar). My room – I was on the top floor – was spacious and the bed was good. Internet worked without problems. These are the positive remarks.
The blinds in my room were cheap and clearly insufficient. During my stay the room was insufficiently cleaned; dirt on the floor on my arrival was definitively still there when I left. The shower was ok; but the small bottle of shower gel was not replaced by a new one during my 5 nights stay. There was no toilet brush. Operating the tv was unusually complex and I did not quite succeed understanding this completely during my stay. Each morning guests are awakened by a lot of noise coming from the street behind the hotel when trash is collected.
Before booking this hotel – it is a house converted into an hotel – the information was that the facilities included a garden, a bar/lounge, a restaurant and room service. However, I have been unable to identify these. A restaurant?? A bar??? Probably my eyesight is rapidly deteriorating. The hotel desk is a small, quite dirty shelf and the reception made a very unprofessional and unappealing impression.
The worst experience was that my credit card was charged twice. The hotel did not react to my e-mails. Fortunately I had booked the hotel through booking.com. This organization was extremely helpful and friendly and finally they were able to refund my money. From what I learned from the (extensive) correspondence with booking.com the hotel was really uncooperative. I did not receive any message or excuses from the hotel!! Of course this unprecedented behavior is totally unacceptable.
Taking this all together the advice must be to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank h_vanbuuren
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The hotel (hostel) is in a very nice area of Boston, the problem is that the price is so high (320 dollars/night) that you don't expect to enter in such a messed up room! The check-in is at 15 (when every other hotels are ready maximum at 12) when you get inside the room you realized that you would spend the half in NYC for such a little room and when you get inside the bathroom you find dirty shower tent and low pressure water.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Gianfrances
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I was booked here for two nights but stayed for only one, I would not have stayed for one night but I arrived late at night from a transatlantic flight.
The hotel (hostel is more accurate) is very run down, the staff all seam to be students, the rooms whilst admitedly quite large (I stayed in no 7) are very very basic and very scruffy.
There is no resturant or breakfast room, no room service, no in room coffee machine, no lift and no qualified service.
If this cost only 100USD, OK I could live with this but at 300USD this is a compleat rip off.
I'm all for quirky hotels but this is a dump and an expensive one at that!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank m s
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is an older building and makes moving around to 'wherever you want to go' without driving quite easy. There are lots of lovely lively eateries in the vicinity.

The property itself is well, older. There is no lift so try being a 65++ International travellor and luggin gyour bags up to the top floor. We had a wonderful feel of what Boston would have been like in the past, we had a great / huge bed and an ensuite. The towels were threadbare however and the water pressure poor and maybe the grouting round the tiles could have done with a clean up! but for one night passing through it was fine.

The Front desk lass could not have been less helpful if she had tried, totally disinterested. At night there were many strange people gathered round the front desk....students doing research or projects probably but not really a good look for guests.

Parking was tight but safe area (should have been with the number of security camera around) and expensive also.

Probably would not choose to stay there again as you could be SO GOOD!
need to brush up cleanliness, decor, furnishings and get some new towels for goodness sake!

Royalton - you have a bit of work to do I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Not sure there is such a thing as a 'Good Room'
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends