“Basic”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #13 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Boston
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I only spent one night but I thought for the price it was worth it. I'm not sure what people are expecting but I do think that the description of 40 Berkeley is accurate. The location is EXCELLENT.. Step outside the front door and you are in walking distance to tons of stuff. The train stop is also a short distance away. The room as everyone else said is very basic but when I come to Boston I only use a room to sleep and shower. I was on the 6th floor and both my room and the shared bathroom was clean. I was a female traveling alone but I felt totally safe in the hotel. The biggest issue I had was the fact that there was no AC.. That is a huge deal because it was very very hot in the room. The ceiling fan couldn't operate without the room light being on as well so that wasn't an option. I was able to get fans from the front desk which helped but wasn't really doing the job. I had to keep the windows open which didn't allow me to have a good nights rest at all.. It would've been nice if they had stated there was no AC on when booking the room. I could deal with one night but if I had to stay longer I wouldn't have stayed. All and all if they AC is fixed next summer I would definitely stay here again at this price.. I also have to say everyone I dealt with at the Front Desk was VERY friendly and helpful... Their friendly positive attitude actually made the lack of AC not as much of a negative.

Room Tip: Just know this is a bargain place but it is clean and safe
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Really good location, had a 7:11 across from it and has really good food and bars nears by, really close to the back bay station, staff are so friendly and really helpful, had a pool table and pin pong table, only thing is that it didn't have air Condition but did have fans on roof and did offer plug in fans for rooms that didn't have them

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Never again! Booked three rooms for a family trip, got three rooms in three different floors. No air conditioning. Bath rooms far away on (at least) the same floor. Filthy, dirty rooms, had to change when arriving as dirt and belongings of someone else were still there. Departure after first night ... never again!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
GM40B, General Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

C C
We would like to apologize for your experience with our Hostel. We are in the process of completing much needed improvements to include the AC. Thank you for your feedback and we will address your concerns so that they don't impact future guests.

Michael

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

First off - the location of this hotel is fantastic. The South End is beautiful, with some fantastic restaurants on Tremont St just around the corner. But the accommodation is REALLY basic. We had a private room on the seventh floor and my husband accurately described our room as a 'hospital ward' because it was 4 white walls and a bed - nothing else. They are currently doing renovations which can be loud during the day, and Berkeley St traffic can be really loud at night, especially with the windows open (which we needed, because it was boiling hot in our room). Overall, we enjoyed our stay because of its location, but if you want a nice place to relax in the afternoon and evening, maybe look somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josie786
Management response:Responded 22 June 2017

Josie786,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this review. Please accept our apology for your less than exceptional experience at our hostel. As stated we are currently making improvements and our hope is that you will give us an opportunity in the future after all of the work is completed.

Michael Falsone

Reviewed 19 June 2017

The location is amazing. Right close to Back Bay Station, from there, Boston is easy to get to. Walking distance to Boylston, Newberry, and Copley.

The rooms kind of suck. But it is a hostel. I had a private room. Had a small cot, desk and night stand. The AC unit did not work. The room is clean, but quite worn out.

The bathroom on the 2nd floor near my room is nicely renovated, each bathroom stall is private with toilet, sink, and shower. I was most concerned about the washroom situation, but there was nothing to worry about.

The staff are quite nice. The courtyard was under reno when I was there and I did not use the lounge.

The wifi worked great and was free.

Just because of the price, I would stay there again, but not look forward to the stay. Boston is pricy.

Room Tip: The 2nd and 3rd floor washrooms are great, room 224 is right next to a good washroom. I heard not a...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 22 June 2017

theschuay86

On behalf of 40Berkeley we would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our location, newly renovated washrooms and our staff. We agree that as a hostel we offer a cost effective way to visit Boston. We hope if you do visit Boston in the future you will stay with us again.

Michael Falsone