See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 November 2017

Booked this motel and checked in no issues...room was clean...older fashioned motel but was exactly what it supposed to be...A Motel...nice people decent room...close to Biltmore..plenty of restaurants nearby.....

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I made this reservation well in advance, because it was for the night before the 2017 eclipse, and I knew hotels in Asheville would book up. The price I booked it for was $75. But on the day before the eclipse, hotels in Asheville were going for $300-$600 because of demand. When we arrived at Whispering Pines, the owner told us we had "called to cancel", which we obviously hadn't, and he showed us a printed out confirmation of our reservation, which he had written on "Called to cancel". And they had no rooms available. He clearly had realized that he could sell our reserved room to someone else for a much higher price, and just pretended that we had canceled it. To top it all off, he was extremely aggressive and hostile right from the beginning of the interaction. We were left with NO place to stay, as everything for hundreds of miles was booked up. What a horrible scheme.

I actually stayed here for a night a couple of years ago, and it was fine, but this hotel is under new management, and the new owners are clearly awful people who will leave you homeless to make a buck. PLEASE save yourself and don't reserve a room here!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Christina S
Reviewed 30 May 2017

Where do I start ? I booked this room through a booking site where it told me I was getting a double queen room NONSMOKING - I get there and there is already a family that is in a screaming match with the hotel owner because the same thing happened to them. I received a queen SMOKING room (you get no refund)- it smelt awful and the room looked as if it wasn't even cleaned. Also this hotel was a very shady place - it was worth about 30$ a night. Almost everyone that was staying at this hotel was very upset about something or another. The owner was very rude to us and everyone else that was staying there. It basically is just a place where you would stay if you had no other option in my opinion, because for what you pay- pay the extra 20$ and stay somewhere a lot nicer.

Room tip: Call the hotel first to make sure you have a NON SMOKING room
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Donna T
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

I had pre-booked a room on a credit card and asked to pay cash. Paid and was told after I paid that the printer was broken so I could not have a receipt. I was then double charged on my credit card after the motel owner stated I had not paid cash.

My room was cleanish, but was a bit strange that there was a small caliber hole in the window.

At night there was a large group arguing in the parking lot and drinking outside that was left to their own devices.

The beds were decent and shower wasn't bad. Also for two adults only one coffee pod for the machine. All in all not so great experience that I had to pay for twice.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank murphy144
Reviewed 21 February 2017

This is a budget motel that has everything you need. If you want Marriott, this is not the place for you. If you need a clean crash pad and everything else is full closer to town, this is a suitable choice. And the price is right.
There is a small refrigerator, coffee maker and working flat screen with cable in the room and the WiFi worked fine (in Room 1). The AC/Heat unit works fine. My only complaint is that the AC/Heat unit is right above the headboard of the bed in Cabin 1, making it quite noisy. Just turn it off overnight. I did and that was fine. Bottom line, the price is right! It has become hard to find a hotel for less than $200 in Asheville, especially if you want to be near downtown. So this place at $93 (total) is a deal.
An UBER ride downtown near the breweries is $12 (without surge pricing). There are several restaurants within walking distance, including Yao, the Asian buffet.
Would stay here again - if everything closer to town is full.

Room tip: Ask for a room where the AC unit is not directly above the headboard of the bed! Noisy!
Date of stay: February 2017