“A Royal Retreat”

The Inn on Biltmore Estate
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 16 November 2008

My wife and I have stayed at the Inn several times. We love the place. The rooms are very nice, just the right size, with fabulous views of the mountains. The service couldn't be better. Everyone is so nice and helpful. The food is terrific and there are lots of things to do around the estate. We have gone horseback and carriage riding. We love the stable area at the Biltmore House, especially the Stable Cafe. All the shops are fun to browse. The garden area is spectacular, especially in the spring with the tulips. The stay is very expensive and you need to be prepared for that, but to us it is worth every penny. If you need a quiet place to get away to for a few days and just relax, this is the place. One piece of advice: Don't bring the kids!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MountainMan49
Write a ReviewReviews (2,272)

Reviewed 16 November 2008

As usual the experience was top notch from start to finish. This is definitely a 5 star experience. I have stayed here several times and many of the staff remember my name which is always nice. One staff member that has always been a stand-out and is a big reason we continue to come back is Brian Couey. Him and his staff in the library are amazing and make the stay personal and extremely enjoyable. If you go, make sure to enjoy a glass of wine on the veranda which has the best mountain views I have ever seen. This was especially true being there during peak leaf season.
The Biltmore House is amazing, but we go for all of the other enjoyable activities. The Winery tour and adjacent Bistro restaurant are amazing. The farm and farm village are enjoyable little excursions for adults and especially the kids (no charge). A hike through the gardens is always beautiful.
Just spending time on the veranda and in the library itself was amazing.
The only small draw backs is though the public spaces are breath taking, the rooms are average at best. Nothing special for the money you are paying in peak season. My suggestion is to watch the web-site for the web specials and passholder rates. Secondly, the dining room on-site is not worth the prices. I suggest going to the bistro or stable cafe. Eating in the library at the hotel is very good also.
Basically, watch for rates as low as $129 for a king room and go and enjoy a 5* hotel for a 2* price. You will be amazed by the freindly staff and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Brianm99
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I had somewhat low expectations of this property from some of the reviews, so I was pleasantly surprised. The room was absolutely lovely - and a view that was extraordinary of the mountains. Only complaint about the room was that the separate shower was extremely small - think telephone booth. I was on a package which included breakfast and admission ticket. I was alone and did not care for fancy dinners, so I ate at tables at the bar both nights, which was fine and not that expensive. I did not have a car, the hotel transportation worked perfectly, but there is no shuttle from the airport and cab fare was more than $50 each way. The only strange story: at the tasting at the winery I paid with a $20 bill. I am absolutely sure it was a $20 as I stood there for quite some time waiting to get served. My change was for a $10. I told the server but she said I was wrong. She said that when she cashed out if she found my extra money she would let me know, but she didn't. Next morning I made some purchases from the hotel gift shop and as I handed the money to the cashier I said "This is a twenty." Sure, enough, she gave me change for a $10. I protested right away - and she admitted it was her mistake. I don't think this was intentional either time - but still. Notwithstanding this small glitch, and the high price of my stay, I will be back next fall. The mountains are beyond beautiful.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank Fontaine
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Staying on the property was the way to go as the ‘Inn on the Biltmore Estate’ spoiled us just perfectly. We left our worries at the gate, parked our car for three days, and we had a wonderful time of peace and quiet. The house is three miles from the front gate, and the Inn is another 3 miles from there. The shuttle will take you everywhere and it’s a one-half hour ride from the Inn to the Biltmore House. We were there “off-season”(9/30 to 10/2) so the “Romantic Getaway Package” was “reasonable” considering what’s included in the package (including breakfast & dinner). Dinner in the ‘Dining Room’ was gourmet. The “dusted” scallop for an appetizer and lamb entrée was excellent. Everything at the Inn was excellent - - the attitude of all employees, the Inn’s location and atmosphere, the food, the drinks, etc. all excellent!

The first day we took the self-guided tour with the audio - - takes about 2 to 2 ½ hours. The following day we took the “Roof Top Tour” (a definite must - - you’re on the roof standing right next to the gargoyles), follow by the “Back-of-the-Scenes tour” (good). The following day we took the “Legacy of the Land Tour” (ok).

We spent the next three days in ‘Homewood Suites’ on Tunnel Road - - exploring downtown Asheville then driving the Blue Ridge Parkway to Brevard. In Brevard, we did drive by ‘Maple Restaurant’ - - it looked very inviting but we decided to drive back to mile-marker 409 on the Blue Ridge Parkway and ate at ‘Pisgah Inn’ - - (the Trout and Octoberfest brat dinners were excellent). We did try North Carolina’s BBQ (pulled pork and brisket) - - first at the ‘Fiddlin Pig’ in Asheville, and then next at ‘Phil’s BBQ Pit’ in Black Mountain - - very good smoked flavor - - but, we tasted better.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jay_Jay_Chicago
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Last November 2007 we spent a couple of nights at the Biltmore Estate, for their Christmas spectacular. Spectacular it was! The estate itself is something to behold, especially with all the Holiday decorations. we split our tours into several segments as our 1 and 2 year old children had shorter attention spans. the Winery was fabulous, had some really nice Champagne. The Inn itself was impeccable and they take every opportunity to make your visit exquisite. Our room was nicely appointed and the view was magnificent. Vanderbilt certainly carved himself out a little piece of Heaven. Take advantage of the carriage rides. All of the food there was excellent. Highly reccommend for familes and couples.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family