All reviewsbay frontrestaurant next doorprivate deckgreat viewroom was cleanmadeline islandwithin walking distanceattached restaurantlate octoberhotel moteljacuzzi tubpeople watchingtwo queensferry terminalperfect locationyogurtupper floor
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We usually stay in properties of a certain hotel company, so stepping outside the box in a new destination was a bit of a challenge, but wow, did we win with the Bayfront Inn! I reserved on their website, but wasn't sure I had enough information, so gave their main number a call, got clarification from a super friendly person who suggested a different room, which turned out to be a wonderful spot. We stayed above the restaurant in Room #12, so had amazing views of both the ferry/excursion harbor and the park and would definitely stay in that room/area of the hotel again.
Our room had two queens, and sleeper sofa, fireplace, Jacuzzi tub, and an extra sink outside of the bathroom, which was more than we needed in the suite that went from front to back of the building. I would have given a 5 but the fireplace didn't work, and on the lake, you never know when you could use a fireplace - would definitely give it a 4.5 if I could!
The price for a three night stay was very affordable, and we found all of the docks and other sites in town an easy walk with a zillion photo opportunities.
Be sure to pay attention to all of the rooms on line before you book - all rooms are upstairs (22 steps!) and there are no elevators, so your Fitbit will love you. Some rooms also do not have private bathrooms, which is not unusual in this area. No problem staying directly above the restaurant, as it closes up at a decent hour although we didn't notice any noise from downstairs at any time of our stay. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, right down to Karen, our waitress on our first night, and Fran, who while manning the bar, gave us some great pointers on getting around to the orchards and other sites. The restaurant, which usually closes up around 9:00 during the week, stays open a bit longer when hungry passengers get back to the harbor after their cruise out to the Apostle Islands (a must!)
We will definitely be back to this quaint little jewel on the Lake Superior shore - so glad we took the chance on this one - thanks to everyone at The Bayfront Inn - see you again real soon!

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I am in love with this place. The location could not be better and the owners were so nice. We stayed in room 1 which is an upper unit with two queens and a jacuzzi. We didn't have a deck but the room was actually bigger because of it. The room was huge, clean, and cozy. The view was spectacular and lake was glistening. They give complimentary breakfast of yogurt, pasteries, juice, eggs in the morning. The ferry landing was feet away and th town was right there. We definitely lucked out at this place and if I return to bayfield I will stay here every time. The best experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2017

I really like this hotel/motel. Our room, #13, was perfect for our family of 5. 2 Queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Beds are comfortable with quality linens, bathrooms are modern and clean (and I'm a sucker for a heat lamp). Our private deck gave us a great view of both "downtown" Bayfield and Madeline Island on Lake Superior. The owners are very sweet family folks. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: upper deck all the way
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2016

My husband and I stayed here in August 2016. We stayed in Room 6 (second floor on the end) as suggested in a prior review ---balcony with nice view of the water and the Madeline Island Ferry. There was coffee and pastries every morning in the office, as well as yogurt and boiled eggs--serve yourself and take back to your room. A refrigerator and /or microwave in the room would be nice. The only negative was the mattress---not good. Location was great, never moved the car for the 3 nights we stayed.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

We just wrapped up a two night stay at the Bayfront Inn, and we really enjoyed it. Upon check-in, the lady at the front desk was very welcoming and gave us a mini tour of the premises. We stayed in a queen room (#8), and though somewhat small, it was very clean and well kept and looked like it'd recently been updated, especially the bathroom. There's a good sized TV with lots of cable channels, a small fridge, and a microwave. The a/c, even though it's small, still did a good job of keeping the room cool. The motel is across the street from the ferry, which is super convenient. We could hear the ferry every time one came or went though, so if you're a light sleeper, this could be troublesome, as the ferries run from early morning until midnight in the summertime. I actually enjoyed the rumble of the motor as it was coming and going. Our bed was firm, so I had somewhat unsettled sleep, but bed and pillow comfort are sort of a preference thing so that was my problem, not the motel's. I wouldn't let the bed keep me from staying here again. They have pastries (cinnamon rolls and donuts) and coffee each morning, which is nice. We also had a private deck that overlooked the lake, but unfortunately due to some rain, we weren't able to use it. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and will book a room again on our next visit.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple