“Great meal in nice cozy setting...”

Sotto Mare Oysteria & Seafood
Ranked #14 of 5,644 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,409 helpful votes
“Great meal in nice cozy setting...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Definitely I can see why this place has great reviews. We ate lunch here yesterday and had a great meal. Great soup and also the Crab legs were great. My mother in law had Lobster and raved about it and my sister in law had a Shrimp dish she said was great.

All our dishes were great. It was very busy so I recommend reservations. Our server was very friendly. I'd definitely recommend it and come back again.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank saintba

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
“Best restaurant experience, if there was a catagory past excellent I would tick it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I hope it says it all when in my five day trip to attend a convention in SF I was reccomended this restaurant and I came here three times. Farallon is good and I suppose you pay for it, but here you get the most beautiful fresh fish and shellfish at great prices. I was here on my own and sat at the bar but its the best place to be because you can watch it all going on. They have a habit of introducing you to people next to you, and met a new friend! Staff are what makes the whole thing work so well, I urge you to put this on your list of eating places if you are in SF but get there early.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank LondonNifty
San Marcos, Texas
“Not what I expected...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

To sum it all up the food was pretty good, owner was very nice, Service was not good and the price was ok.

Newberg, Oregon
“Don't understand the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Dropped into Sotto Mare for lunch during a day of sightseeing in the North Beach area. TA reviews had us expecting something exceptional, but it was just OK. Sauteed sand dabs and sauteed prawns, with iced tea to drink was a decent lunch, but after the TA raves and very high rating (top 5 in SF???) we felt a big letdown. With so many great Italian and seafood restaurants in SF and North Beach in particular, we probably won't return.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank OregonJohn97338
“Really happy we ate here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Even with great reviews you always wonder how one's experience will be when you visit a restaurant. Ours was just great. There was a 30 minute wait but were given the house wine while we waited. After breaking the ice with the host, we found her to be warm and friendly. We sat at the counter looking directly at the cooks at work. You can tell that they have a well oiled kitchen. No need for Ramsey here. Our food was delicious, the service was great an so was the value. Too bad there are no desserts nor coffee, (they need your table). Overall, we had a great time!