“DISAPPOINTING!!”

Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Ranked #97 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was really looking forward to returning to San Francisco, not having been there for several years, and my husband was going there on business so i joined him. My BAD for insisting we stay half a block to Union Square, and trying to keep within a certain budget (279- 299 dollars per night) to stay at the Sir Francis Drake. My husband did say it was a Kimpton hotel, and he had stayed at one before, so it should be fine. The staff at reception and come to think of it all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately they have to make up for the poor state the hotel is in. Granted it is an old hotel, but i believe it was renovated in recent years. Rooms all stink of animals, because it is what they call a "pet friendly" hotel, but they dont have any control on trying to keep a floor pet free. i had specifically asked for a pet free room as i am allergic to pet smell in a confined area. The bathroom stunk all the time, felt like the smell was coming from the walls. we were there only three 3 nights, so it was difficult to move somewhere else. I certainly dont recommend this hotel for a businessman, my husband had to walk a block to go get color copies made, as their business office did not have a color printer.
At checkout i noticed the charge on the room was 246.00 per night, however, i still dont think that you should be paying that rate just to be close to Union Square, unless of course its the only hotel that allows pets. Very Disappointing.

1  Thank jillbill
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear jillbill:

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that you had to deal with the pet odor. As one of the 'pet friendly' hotels in the city, we try our best to keep those rooms as 'pet free' as possible. I will make sure to stress this to my Housekeeping staff.

Although, there is no color printer in our business center, I am sorry to hear that our front desk staff was not able to assist you with an alternative solution.

I hope that you'll give us another chance in the future.

Jim Gross, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,404)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Overall this is a nice hotel in a good location with great service. A bid on Priceline got me $125/night for 2 nights Sat&Sun, so for that rate I can't really complain. However for those paying their standard rates, I did feel that it lacked some of the amenities that most 4 star hotels have. Ex: It was rainy one day so we decided to relax in our room and watch TV for a bit, and they honestly have about 6 channels worth watching. Also the bathrooms are quite small (but clean and updated) which no man would care about but it makes it hard for a woman!

The lobby is very charming, and The Starlight Room is worth a trip for a drink and views of the city. Beds are very comfortable and a call to reception for extra pillows was answered quickly. They also had a promo running, where in exchange for declining maid service 1 day, you were awarded a $10 gift card to use at the hotel bar/restaurant/starlight room. I thought that was a great idea and took advantage of it!

Room Tip: It's right in the city so there will be noise, and the trolley is right outside ringing it's...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Spiritgrl:

Thank you for posting your comments! I am glad to hear that you were able to get a very attractive rate on Priceline. Please know that we just added 20+ channeles including HDTV to our list!

Yes, our legendary "Starlight Room" is something everyone, including our locals enjoy! I am happy that you were able to visit.

Hope to welcome you back at the Drake soon!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

San Francisco was the last stop on our month-long vacation in the USA, and we had booked this hotel for 5 nights, due to it's proximity to Union Square. On initial impression, it was quite a busy hotel, and the lobby has a certain charm about it, with high ceilings and an art-deco feel.

There was a line for check in, but it moved fairly quickly, and after about 10 minutes, we were in our room. Unfortunately, ours was on the 3rd floor facing the very busy Powell St, with it's constant stream of cable cars. The street noise was such that my husband and I thought a window had accidentally been left open...it hadn't! Coupled with this aural assault was a saxophonist who played until midnight, and a garbage truck that kept the same hours as the saxophonist. We requested another room, however, there was a conference being held nearby and were told that they were fully booked.

On entering the bathroom, I tried to look out of the window, but it had been painted over from the outside. The toilet roll holder was placed on the other side of the door to the toilet, dirt marks were visible on the shower tiles, and there was no shower cap offered.

When we went out for dinner that night, we walked past a lovely hotel a few blocks away called The Galleria Park that had availability for us and was cheaper than The Sir Francis Drake. Needless to say, we paid the $100 early departure fee upon check out the next morning, rolled our suitcases to our new lodgings, and enjoyed a fantastic time in this gorgeous city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank darlingharbourgirl

Dear darlingharbourgirl:

I really appreciate your candid comments on your recent experience. I am sorry to hear that you had to deal with some noise issue from the cable car and a saxophonist.

As for our windows, please know that we are in a process of getting our windows cleaned.

We hope that you'll come back to our beautiful city and will give us another chance on your next trip.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is well restored hotel right by Union Sq, in the heart of San Fran. Rooms are decent size for a mid-city hotel and very clean and well maintained. Staff is great as is the location. Very clean, great beds and temp control.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear sdbolts:

I appreciate your review. Yes, indeed, our historical building has been well-kept since the original hotel opening in 1928. We also have gone through an extensive renovation in 2011 to add some modern convenience to the old-world charm.

Thank you also for a nice feedback on our staff. I will make sure that our housekeeping staff knows that they did a fantastic job!

Hope to see you in SF soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel had the charm of an older property, right down to the creepy paintings of ghostly looking people that stared down at the bed ; ) There were decorative and architectural details everywhere, which was nicer than sterile wall space, especially when meetings held at the site ran long and my brain needed something else to focus on. The room I stayed in was a pretty good size, except for the bathroom that was rather small. It was extremely quiet, and the king sized bed was one of the more comfortable I have encountered in a hotel. The carpets, and more importantly the linens were clean and crisp. The staff, as in every Kimpton that I have stayed in, was very friendly and helpful.

On the down side, the elevators were extremely slow and small and when possible I took the stairs. The shampoo, conditioner and body wash were in dispensers on the shower wall, which I can understand from an environmental and economical standpoint. However, no lotion was provided and since this is usually a staple at hotels I hadn't bothered to bring any with me.

The location right off of Union Square was great. The Starlight Room is usually a stop on my itinerary no matter where I'm staying and it didn't disappoint this time either, with the interesting cocktails, live music, great people watching and fantastic view. I was disappointed with the lobby bar though. After a late mtg. we were sitting in the bar/lobby and when they closed the bar for the night, they told us that we had to leave so they could clean, which was the first time I've ever been told that I couldn't sit in a lobby and talk with colleagues. The next night, I planned to finally relax and use my drink tickets after my meetings were over and they closed the bar at 9PM so they could clean the rugs - seems to me that this could be done much later in the evening or early in the morning....

1  Thank Cape_Cod_Traveler32

Dear Cape_Cod_Travel...:

I really appreciate your detailed review. First of all, I apologize for some of the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I am glad to know that our staff was able to assist.

Please know that we are getting our elevators service as we speak and hopefully, they'll be operating at much more efficient way to better accommodate our guests!

Lastly, but not least, I am very disappointed to hear about the experience you had at Bar Drake in our lobby area. I will make sure to address your experience to our food and beverage department to prevent this from happening to other guests in the future.

I hope that you'll visit the Drake in the near future.