New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #106 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
South Pasadena, California
“CUTE AND COMFORTABLE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here in September of 2011 while my husband was at a conference. We actually walked all the way over the hill to the Chestnut street, it was a great workout. The room was nicely decorated, but I think the sofa bed could use a new mattress. They charge for parking otherwise they'd get an excellent rating from me. There's a cute bar/appetizer lounge next door which is very convenient for nightcaps. Overall we really liked it and might stay here for the 2012nFillmore Jazz Festival, since it's a short walk over to Fillmore.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay for parking and take a room with a city view - they are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank OlgaEagle
Laurel_Inn_GM, Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear RoadWarriors24,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Laurel Inn. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I also would like to thank you for your feedback. Travellers such as yourself who take the time to share are indispensible to helping us improve. I thank you again for the kind words. We hope to see you again when you return to San Francisco.

Kindest regards,

Imran Jivani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

It's a cute hotel, with very helpful staff in a pretty residential neighborhood. I got a free drink coupon for the bar next door upon arrival which was nice. They serve lemonade and cookies in the afternoon. They were very helpful with everything I asked for. Even the bartender was extremely nice and gave me some advice for my stay. For the price I would have liked to be more impressed. The fluorescent lighting in the bathroom was ugly and the floors were extremely thin. The only noise I dealt with was when the floor above me was being vacuumed- luckily it was during the day because it was startlingly loud. Also, the day of my check out the housekeeper knocked on my door while I was still in bed to clean the room- I feel like she should have known I was checking out that day and waited for me to do so before banging on the door.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelSeed55
Laurel_Inn_GM, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear TravelSeed55,

We truly appreciate your feedback in regards to your stay with us, and would like to thank you for taking the time writing this review.
We are glad to see that you appreciate the positive experience in regards to our staff friendliness, but have also addressed your bathroom and noise issue with our respective teams. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future.

San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Even though I just stayed here for one night, I had a really pleasant stay. My room was right in the corner on the intersection of California and Presidio and I would have expected it to be rather loud with the buses in the morning, but I didn't find it to be loud at all. The staff were very pleasant. They have a lot of little bonuses as well - I was offered a free glass of wine at their lounge, Swank. They have free cookies and lemonade offered in the afternoons. And dog-friendly. The room was a good size and very comfortable.

Although the wi-fi was offered for free I didn't have any luck connecting to it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank lkfreema
Dear Ikfreema,

Thank you very much for your positive comments in regards to your hotel stay with us. We are excited to see that you recognize our efforts to create a comfortable and un-pretentious environment for our guests. We have addressed your Wi-Fi issue, which has been corrected.
Please do reach out to us if you visit our neighborhood again in the future.

EastCoast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Reservation at this hotel was made by accident and mostly based on the travel company's suggestion that was servicing conference I attended in SF. The hotel is really far away from the center of the city but is in the high end residential neighborhood. Rooms are clean and spacious but the building is old and has no AC.
The best part is the service. Hotel manager went out of his way to show different rooms (the hotel was almost sold out) to accommodate my needs and, when nothing was found, contacted a number of hotels in the city to find a better choice. The staff has offered coffee and cookies while I waited and the manager (although at the end of his long work day) continued calling around the city until a room was found.
This is real customer service that is now rarely found in hospitality industry. I will definitely pick this hotel next time in SF when central location is not number one priority.

Room Tip: seems that higher floor facing away from the main street is a better choice for a quieter room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LovePlanAndTravel
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Whilst on a driving tour of California with a couple of friends we chose this hotel based on TA reviews and the fact that it had secure parking at $20 per day. Our arrival was early as we had travelled just the short distance from Sonoma. Denise was really welcoming in spite of us trying to check in just as the rest of the hotel guests were checking out! Of course our two rooms were not yet ready, but she rang us immediately they were. Also during our stay she helped us out with change for the bus, as well as offering to make bookings for shows etc. There was good information about local restaurants along with menus in reception too and our in-room compendium had excellent information.

A nice touch was that we were given two complimentary drinks vouchers (house beer or wine) to be used at Swank (part of the complex). Also our stay included continental breakfast at Swank, which quite frankly was a farce - a pastry, tea or coffee and juice. No butter or jam for croissants - no toast. I asked if I could pay the extra and substitute an espresso and a bowl of granola with yoghurt - no way! In fact I was told they didn't have any granola (despite it being on the menu board). As a result we only tried breakfast in-house once then went over the road to Ella's each morning - which was terrific!

There is a permanent supply of tea and coffee in reception, as well as a lemon drink and home made biscuits (cookies) in the late afternoon.

The rooms we had been given were on the western side of the building - as a result they were very noisy with early morning street traffic. In fact there was no noise insulation of any sort and we heard every voice from the corridor, doors opening and closing, footsteps from upstairs too. The rooms are nicely and tastefully furnished, but the building is old and very basic. The paintwork is very sloppy and the bathroom cupboards are poor quality with no shelves. There was no air conditioning in either room - and being in full afternoon sun they were very hot on our arrival. Open the window and get a lot of traffic fumes and noise! They had fans for cooling. OK in autumn/winter, but no go in summer!

Bedlinens and towels were lovely and white and good quality. However, there was a wad of long black hair in our bath outlet which was really off-putting. There was also no fan/ventilation in a windowless bathroom.

The hotel is about 20-30 minutes from downtown. The bus service is excellent - just outside the door. Taxis are about $15 to North Beach (that includes the tip). There are some lovely boutiques and interesting shopping quite close by, as well as lovely San Francisco architecture and parks.

I wish I could give a more positive review, especially since our hosts were so nice, but based on noisiness, no airconditioning and the farcical breakfast on offer I would probably not stay here again or recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on the east side of the hotel - especially if you are a light sleeper. Also a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SydneyTeviot
Laurel_Inn_GM, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Mrs. Teviot,

Thank you very much for the feedback you gave us here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate our guest comments to ensure we meet and exceed their expectations, and will certainly share them with our staff members.
Please do look us up, when your travels bring you back to San Francisco.