“comfortable, convenient”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“comfortable, convenient”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The hotel is a few steps from local transit--BART, MUNI (which takes you up Market Street or to Fisherman's Wharf), and the California Street cable car, which begins right outside the front door. A few more steps take you to the shops in the Ferry Building, the Financial Center, and a few blocks to Chinatown. It's this convenience, plus the comfortable and very spacious rooms, that draw me to this hotel. I've been able to get good rates through AARP and Priceline. I'm very sensitive to noise; from the 6th floor I could hear some traffic sounds, but not enough to bother me (ask for a room facing away from Market Street), and I heard nothing from neighboring rooms or from the lobby. Staff were very friendly and helpful. There are several places to grab an inexpensive breakfast within a few steps of the hotel. My only complaint: they charge an exorbitant $10/day for internet access. This basic service should be free. No pool, but if you're a YMCA member you can use their nearby facilities for a token payment ($3?).

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face Market Street are probably quieter. Ask for a high floor, and if you like...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tony C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bay Area
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have stayed at this property several times over the years, and it has improved each time.

Pros: Great location (convenient to BART, MUNI), large rooms, well maintained rooms and common areas, restaurant and bar on site, gym facility

Cons: Street noise (though this is to be expected in an urban environment)

I booked this room via Priceline and got a great rate. I would not hesitate to stay there again if I should be so lucky.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rescue-you
mbort088, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear rescue-you of the Bay Area:

It was a pleasure having you back and thank you very much for your positive rating. The entire staff, our General Manager and I are extremely pleased that you once again enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

We can't wait to welcome you back and wish you all the best!

Kerikeri, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I attended a conference here and stayed in the hotel for convenience. It was a good conference venue and very handy to transportation but I would not choose to stay here again unless I was guaranteed a quiet room. I admit I am a poor sleeper. I had also arrived off a long haul overnight flight from New Zealand so was tired on arrival. I was given a room on the 4th floor overlooking Market St. The street view was entertaining but the noise at night made sleep very difficult. This was partly due to the trolley buses which run at night, but exacerbated by a protest group occupying the footpath across the road and roadworks conducted overnight at a nearby intersection. On the third night I resorted to earplugs, but was so tired by day 4 I requested a room change. The staff were obliging and offered a twin room on the 3rd floor with a partial bay view. This was definitely quieter, though there was a locked door between my room and the room next door so they could be used as adjoining rooms if required. The sound proofing between them was poor - I could hear the occupants voices and they could probably hear me Skyping! Fortunately they were quiet folk and it didn't bother me too much. I hope I didn't bother them! It would be preferable to be higher up, away from the atrium noise, and if you are a restless sleeper do request a bayside room, though the receptionist said requests cannot be guaranteed...
Service was generally of a very good standard. The Concierge staff were great, with helpful suggestions about transport etc. The architecture was impressive, albeit a bit dated, and the rooms were spacious although rather beige... The heating unit was noisy so I turned it off at bedtime. The bathroom setup was adequate with a generous vanity space. There was no minibar but there is a nice deli/wineshop across the road which is open till midnight.
All up, if you are a sound sleeper you will probably enjoy your stay here, but if you are a restless sleeper, beware. And if you book without prepaying and are from overseas you might be surprised by the $35 occupancy charge per night which is added to your quoted room rate!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JudyA888
Dear JudyA888 from Kerikeri, New Zealand:

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Your comments and experience are highly valued by the entire team. We take it to heart to exceed our guest's expectations at all times and we are solely committed to providing you with authentic hospitality.

It is our hope that you would return in the future and allow us the opportunity to provide you with a more comfortable and quieter room.

Thanks again and all the best to you!

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I was on a business trip and returned to the Hyatt for two nights. The room was very comfortable and fitness facility was excellent. The restaurant served a good breakfast and was a good place to meet colleagues after the day's session. It is in close walking distance to the business center and tourist attractions. The lobby has a very distinctive light decoration hanging from the ceiling. The lights are like long Christmas lignts and have the look of a heavy snowfall.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank johnbayeux
Dear johnbayeux from Basking Ridge, New Jersey:

We appreciate the time you took to share your positive experience while at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. We are very pleased that you found your room comfortable, enjoyed our StayFit facility, breakfast at our restaurant and our lobby lighting.

Your vote of confidence is one of our biggest compliments! We hope to welcome you back to our hotel and our city by the bay.

logan, ut
Reviewed 15 March 2012

While the hotel is interesting architecturally, in a dated 1980s sort of a way, I would have expected a more customer service oriented approach. Over the past year, hotels like the Fairmont, Hilton, Novotel, and Ibis have honored our special requests, and given us rooms that were exactly what we requested – even on early arrival. Not so with the Hyatt.

Calls to reservations prior to arrival confirmed my request for a bay facing high floored room (which we were willing to pay extra for). We arrived early to this Hyatt, and expected to put our luggage in storage. Instead we were ushered into a room after the front desk said no rooms of our description were available now or later. They instead tried to upgrade our stay to Regency Club (and a 6th floor room) for an extra $79 a night. After we declined, he placed us in a cramped corner room facing Market St. Before moving in, we called the front desk (which admitted that they weren’t that full). This call yielded an upgrade to the 4th floor bay facing room if we placed our luggage in storage.

This room was adequate, but noisy from street and market traffic and had malfunctioning heat. We should have moved to another room, or better yet another hotel, but traveling with my family on a short holiday limits the amount of time we wish to spend moving luggage from room to room.

While the location of this hotel was exceptional, very convenient to BART, MUNI, and city sites, I will not choose this place again without a guarantee of a better room and better treatment. A little more consideration from the front desk would have made ALL the difference.

Room Tip: High floor, bay facing
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank j9logan
mbort088, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear j9logan from Utah:

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. It is through your honest opinion that we find opportunities to improve and enhance our product and services. I sincerely apologize that your stay was not entirely up to par to your expectations. We are honestly disappointed that we unable to provide you with authentic hospitality that we aim to provide at all times.

We immediately addressed your concerns and hope that you would accept our sincerest apologies. The entire staff and I wish that this experience would not deter you from returning to our hotel in the future. Should travel bring you back to our beautiful city, please do not hesitate to call me and I would be more than welcome to personally assist you. We would like to show you the level of service that you deserve and that, of which, we pride ourselves to delivering every day.