“Bayview? More like dustview.”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #81 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I had a nice, basic "Bayview" room, but who could see the bay with all the dust on the windows? They were the dirtiest, nastiest windows I've seen in a commercial building in years!

The room and the hotel need updating. The elevator glitched while I was in one, and we got out and used a different one.

The place had such a noise factor outside (and I was on the 12th floor) that they provide free EAR PLUGS in the room! Now, what's that say?

The shower head is mounted far too low... I had to break my back to get my head under it and I'm only 5'11".

The room had no refrigerator, no free Internet, and only the basic amenities. And because of its name, it was probably more than I should have paid. But, you decide.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,852)

Reviewed 22 August 2012

The first night we were there the hotel was totally booked. They ended up giving us a smaller
room than we originally reserved. Because of this they also gave us use of the Hilton Exec lounge and a few other things. Then they moved us up to a great room and we ended staying an extra night at a great rate. As others have mentioned.... Great service.
I love that the hotel is where Chinatown and the Financial District intersect. Easy access to the Ferry Blding, Embarcadero and North Beach.
The first room had a semi view of the bay that was good. The other nights we had a cityscape looking at the B of A and assorted bldings with great architecture and statues. Frankly I really liked it.
Mamie in the Breakfast lounge was very gracious. The lattes at the coffee bar were great. Everyone who works there was welcoming and helpful.

The rooms themselves are ok. Bed very comfortable. Bathrooms ok not wonderful. Not quite soundproof. But hey it's a hotel in the middle of city....

San Francisco is an expensive place and for a hotel in the city they have a good rate.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2012

Thank you for the review of your recent visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the room, views, location, and the overall service you received once we straightened out the room issues. Thank you also for the endorsement that you would choose to stay here again. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at Hilton San Francisco for my wedding weekend from July 21 - July 23 and enjoyed our stay.

I am local but wanted to stay at a hotel in the city as the church and banquet hall were less than a mile away from the Hilton. I also was in touch with the Sales Manager and blocked rooms for the weekend for my out of town guests. My review is for my stay as well as working with Hilton on the room block.

I booked a presidential suite and was given a room on the top floor. The room was spacious, bed was comfortable and had amazing views. My room had a terrace in the living area and in the bedroom. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge.

The top two floors have access to the Executive lounge. This was helpful as I had to wake up at 6 am to get my hair & make up done and did not have time to make a breakfast run. The pastries were delicious and kept my stomach full . The lobby had a coffee shop that sold Starbucks coffee, which was convenient.

We were treated very nicely throughout the weekend. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered courtesy of the hotel on our wedding night. The most memorable part of our stay was ordering room service the morning after our wedding and eating it on our balcony.

I also used the Spa and booked a last minute appointment for a body scrub. I would definitely use the spa again.

The location was close to our church and across the street from our wedding reception. Our wedding guests love the location as well as it is walking distance to major sights.

We worked closely with their sales manager on blocking rooms. The rate they gave us was affordable for our guests (and it could not be beat even when comparing against rates on Expedia and hotels.com). There were minor glitches with booking (very minor); the sales manager I worked with always resolved it in a timely manner.

I would stay at this hotel again (anniversary, etc). Thank you for being part of our wedding weekend and making our stay memorable.

TIPS: To save $ our guests with cars would park across the street at Portsmouth Garage, as the garage is open 24/7 and charged only $28 for overnight parking.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Congratulations and thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District! Sounds like you had a great time and had a chance to experience almost everything the hotel has to offer. Great tip on the parking as well! Again, Congratultions and we look forward to seeing you again on your Anniversary!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We just returned from a wonderful weekend in San Francisco, and enjoyed our stay at the Hilton. San Francisco is an amazing town, and this hotel is very well located to enjoy some of its iconic neighborhoods.

The Hilton wound up being the perfect spot for us to explore the city as it is just blocks away from Little Italy, Chinatown and the Embarcadero. It's also a very pleasant walk to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. The hotel is a a lovely oasis in the neighborhood - a calm place to rest up between adventures. The lobby has a fireplace - nice and cozy place to warm up on a foggy day.

The service is wonderful all around - the staff was friendly, professional and very welcoming. The staff was very hospitable, and clearly motivated to create a positive experience for the hotel guests. We were celebrating our 18th anniversary in SF, and the person who checked us in really went out of his way to make us feel special when we mentioned it. He sent over wine and strawberries; and then sent us complimentary coupons for breakfast. We did not even ask for free gifts or food - just mentioned why we were there. The welcome helped start our weekend of on a great note, it made our day! Little things that make a big difference. Housekeeping was super friendly and prompt when we needed extra towels or lotion.

The rooms are modern, comfortable and clean. The beds are extremely comfortable -- we loved the crisp duvets. Was a very cozy place to rest after all our walking around. Our views were not great, however I believe that bay view rooms have gorgeous views. Maybe next time (too popular, none available).

We walked all over and were able to explore the amazing neighborhoods that surround the hotel and we enjoyed having this as our base to relax between our adventures. We were just steps from Little Italy and Chinatown. One evening we walked Grant street from Little Italy, through Chinatown to Union Square. It was a lot of fun. We enjoyed walking to the great restaurants in the area, and spent a lovely morning walking around the Embarcadero. You are not far from the cable car lines.

The one downside is that the rooms are not well sound proofed. Despite being on a high floor (22), the street noises woke me up really early in the morning. Chinatown is busy, but it was annoying to be woken up by loud noises of trucks being unloaded at 6:30 am on a Sunday. Truck noises were followed by music from the square below. Not unpleasant, but we were hoping to sleep in on a Sunday morning, after a late night out on the town. So I rated the hotel Average for sleep quality (good beds, too noise on the city side).
Also, the rooms were not too large (maybe typical in downtown SF). Perfectly fine for an individual or couple, but would be cramped for a family.

SF has some of the best restaurants in the world, and you will be able to walk to many of them from the hotel. The hotel has a cafe (Starbucks) in the lobby, and a nice breakfast and a nice jazz brunch on Sunday. You can walk to some real gems from here -- Chinese: R&G Lounge, Yank Sing in the Embarcadero has great Dim Sum; Fine Dining: Kokkari, Roys, Slanted Door, Bix are just a few. The Bubble Lounge is down the street. You can always find some great cappucino in Little Italy. We had some delicious pizza and salad at Calzones on Columbus. Lots of amazing dining options in the North Beach area. We loved tea tasting at Vital Leaf in China Town (on Grant and Jackson). Also visited the Fortune Cookie factory in China town. Chinatown and Little Italy are so much fun to walk around. Union Square also has a host of entertainment - theater, shopping, restaurants. You are three blocks from the Ferry Building (great weekend farmers market, home to Slanted Door). I read somewhere that you could eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at a different restaurant in SF every day for 5 years, and still not hit every one. Hilton is nicely situated to take advantage of being in this foodie mecca.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bay View! Higher floors are better.....
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for the great travelogue of your recent visit to San Francisco and the Hilton Financial District! You are right on the money with all your "senses" (sights, sounds, taste, and feel) of our hotel, the neighborhood, the reataurants, and our beautiful city. I was pleased to read that our staff "took care" of you especially when we uncover that you were celebrating an event'! Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will once again select the Hilton Financial on your next San Francisco adventure!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed two nights on an executive floor, which included breakfast in the lounge. The room was comfortable and the breakfast quite enjoyable with an assortment of breads, cereals, and coffees. For about $300 a night, in a location convenient to Chinatown, the financial district, and the Embarcadero, this is a good value hotel.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Mervmeister

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. I am pleased that you got to experience and enjoy the amenities of our Executive Lounge. Hopefully next time you'll be able to stay a little longer to further explore this beautiful city. Again, thank you and I hope to see you again very soon.