“Not good but not bad either”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #122 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Not good but not bad either”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Let me first say that as a Priority Club memeber of Holiday Inn I stayed only one night of my scheduled 7 here. The rooms have not been updated in quite some time it seems, although the beds and linens were comfortable and clean. The room itself was in need of some updated wallpaper, curtains, and carpet. It smelled old and musty, and the glass sliding doors to the balcony were about as old as the building itself. Instead of complimentary breakfast for platinum memebers, I was told the clients preferred free drinks instead. I asked to get free breakfast, but was not able to convert, even though this particular traveller made it clear that he does not drink alcohol and prefers breakfast. A final concession was made in one complimentary breakfast for the 7 day stay. I guess it was good that I only stayed one night; here's why. At about 2 am the trash man came to pick up the hotels garbage making enough noise to hurt my ears on the 14th floor. he then returned at 3am and 4am. Shortly after the last interruption to my attempt at sleeping there was an earthquake (not attributing that to the HI) and I decided that sleep was off the menu after that. When I went to the desk to ask for a room on the other side of the building the desk manager informed me that it was equally as noisy on the front side of the building. I opted to mive to the HIE at Fisherman's Wharf where I remained for my trip (see other review).

Room Tip: Get one in front of the building!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
HI-GuestRelationMrg, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We
are sorry you did not find the room to your liking and appreciate your saying with our Holiday Inn
family. Please feel free to contact me if I can ever assist you with travel plans to San Francisco

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I normally stay further towards Union Square or 4th street area, but I couldn't find a decent price and ideally wanted a pool. The HI Civic Center appeared to tick all the boxes and despite some negative reviews on here about the area being 'edgy' or 'dodgy' I decided to go ahead anyway. I'm glad I did. Access from BART was a cinch and just a couple of minutes from platform to hotel reception even laden down with luggage. Yes, there are plenty of homeless people around, but that applies to many areas of SF - and certainly anywhere on Market Street. I really didn't find it a threatening area, but everyone has their own perceptions, of course. Check-in staff were friendly and allocated me a high floor room, as requested. It also happened to be a refurbished room and really was fitted out to a good standard and was very comfortable for the 4 nights I stayed. Most, if not all, of the rooms have balconies and it was nice to be able to get some fresh air with the door open, rather than having to rely on air con. Noise from an adjacent construction site (at the time concrete being demolished) was intrusive but I quickly got used to it. The outside pool itself was clean and warm and popular - it was only let down by a slightly tatty approach across the rooftop, which needed some TLC. Housekeeper was incredibly friendly and kept room well and shop staff were helpful. Would definitely consider staying here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: High floor on opposite side to Market St
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank simonlee001
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your comments and are delighted to know you enjoyed our incredibly friendly

staff, well appointed rooms, balcony with fresh air and swimming pool.

We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip!

plymouth, mi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel is tired, worn out, old and in desperate need of a remodel. I chose it because it's a good bit less expensive than anything I could find in the Financial District and because of its proximity to the BART. It was - however - still really expensive, averaging over $200 a night.

The location - 8th & Market - was once a bustling city center. Unfortunately it's fallen onto hard times, neighboring a couple sketchy neighborhoods. There isn't much at all for restaurants - save a Burger King, Carl's/Green Burrito and a couple of diners. (I had the Korean Tacos at Sam's on Market and they were quite good actually). The proximity to the BART rail is great - right around the corner. For walking, however, consider the surroundings.

The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. No complaints there. I moved rooms after my first night because of the construction on a neighboring skyscraper at 5:30am and they were able to do it even though they were at capacity. I got some free drink tickets and my room came with breakfast. The breakfast bar was ok. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, croissants, juice, fruit, etc. Not sure what the price was (as it was included in my rate) but it was a good notch above a continental. Speaking to the need for a remodel - the coffee cups are in need of replacing, stained brown from a zillion served.

I had the opportunity to use the fitness center a couple times. It's a small room, but worked for me. A couple treadmills, cycles, steppers and a weight bench. They had a TV and towels and water. Nothing super special, but certainly good enough.

This brings me to the room. Ugh. As stated, I moved due to the construction noise. That room faced East. My new room faced West. 15 feet from my window was another hotel so 70% of my view was a big concrete wall. I could see the city to the right and it wasn't a total bummer. Noise was still an issue. Even on the 10th floor. I was awakened every night by a loud steel bang - like a steel plank covering a hole in the sidewalk was being walked over or something. This happened a few times. Street noise isn't too bad unless there's a siren or really loud truck. Room-to-room noise, however, wasn't a problem.

In general, the room just needed some attention. There were plugs in the base of the lamp - one was missing and one of them was pulled out, exposing wires. It looked ugly and was probably dangerous to a little kid. The walls were scuffed. The wireless worked ok for 3 of my 5 nights and on the other 2 I could connect but it dropped every couple minutes. Very frustrating. Under the chair in my first room was a belt. How that was missed by the cleaning crew...I can't say because I saw it 5 minutes after I checked in. There was a little plastic garbage can int the hall near my room for 2 days. It was empty...but why? How did it get there and why didn't someone take it away? There were little stains on my sheets the first night. The sheets were clean - but stained - right next to the pillow. It could be seen without even crawling in. Kinda creepy - at least put the stain at the bottom of the bed so the guest wouldn't eve know, right? Overall it seems like they just don't care that much about these things at this hotel. Let's change the sheets and towels and move on. The bathroom was ok, but one night after a workout there was no hot water. Seemed ok each morning though.

In the end, this is what I would expect from a Knights Inn, Motel 6 or EconoLodge off a freeway. You're paying $40 for a room you expect things to be a bit shady. But I expect more from a Holiday Inn in the center of a major US city. Especially when you're paying over $200/night. A little more attention to detail. I doubt I would stay here again. I'd rather be a couple more miles out and/or pay a bit more and have a better experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value our guest’s feedback and are sorry to hear of your
recent stay. We will utilize your comments with our staff as we continuously strive to provide
quality services.

We are pleased to announce our complimentary wireless internet service has been upgraded and now offers some of the highest level hotel bandwidth available.

The area also offers multiple dining options and we are pleased to offer a local dining guide with a wide range of great San Francisco restaurant suggestions for our guests all within 4 blocks of our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Jerusalem
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We've stayed 3 weeks in this hotel. The service wasn't remarkable, but most of the staff was helpful. The advantage of the hotel is its value- great location (at the middle of the Civic Center) for fair price, much cheaper than other places we checked. It's right near the BART's and MUNI's Civic Center stations, and you can walk almost anywhere from there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JarAaltonen
Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying with us and are delighted to know you enjoyed our good value for
downtown San Francisco, helpful staff and convenient location with easy access to almost
anywhere in town.

We thank you for your business and hope to welcome you back with us!

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This was our first trip to SF, the first impression was bad because the neighborhood does not look so good. But when you identify your surrounding then you find you're close to a lot of convenient places and paying a lot less than in Union Sq. You are at walking distance to Civic Center and Market Street. BART is also close.
Staff was a mix of unfriendly and friendly people (mostly unfriendly). Rooms were clean but the bed was too hard and uncomfortable. Restaurant serves a nice buffet with good choices of food.
We rented a car to visit Sacramento but the price for parking at the hotel was very very high.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying with us and are glad you enjoyed our good value and convenient
location for downtown San Francisco.

We hope to have you back in San Francisco again!