Pros: cute hotel with lots of character, love "Snazz" music during wine reception, friendly staff, nice room decor, loved food at Saha, two blocks away from Wayo Sushi on Van Ness
Cons: thin walls and doors, view of street not good, small rooms, not great neighborhood, wine reception can get strange if you see one guy coming back 5x's with two glasses
Take past reviews about noise issues seriously. You can literally hear the person peeing in the room next door, hear every conversation, cough, and sniffle as if they are in the room with you. Ask for a room NOT facing the street. They are doing construction at the moment on the building across the street and the noise from outside is just as crystal clear as the noise from the hallway and next door rooms. They started hammering at 7am on Sat.-bummer.
I would've given this hotel one star based on my experience which was a man coming back to the hotel at 1:30am with about 10 people two doors down from us. They literally were in the hallway screaming, laughing and acting crazy for about an hour before I called down. I was trying so hard to believe they would settle down eventually. They did not. The front desk came up about 4 x's with no success until a police officer showed up at 5:30am. Very disturbing. It was just a really strange scene since you could hear the man sound reasonable when they would come up and then as soon as the front desk people would leave he's go right back to partying. I even came out of my room at 3:30am and told him I'd had enough and to knock it off and shut up already. Still he continued until the cops came.
So obviously I wasn't very happy when I checked out the next day and this is why I give them 3 stars. They were super apologetic, comped me the nights stay, and told me they were really upset as well with what happened. The mgr., Jamie, was just arriving as I was leaving so I filled her in quickly and just said "Be prepared for other guests to speak with you about this. It was like nothing else I have ever experienced and it was very disturbing." She apologized and I left. By the time I got home 30 mns. later there was a msg. from her asking me to call. She told me on the phone that she had read the employees report and was thoroughly upset with what had happened and wished it had not gone on as long as it did. She also said she wants to send me an offer to come back free of charge to give them another chance. I said I would. I can't imagine that it would be like that again!
My advice---specifically request a quiet room with preferably no one next door, not next to the housekeeping closet or next to the elevator since everyone's conversation comes right into your room at all hours of the night. Also the neighborhood is right on the verge of not being so great. We saw a lot of homeless people just crashed on the street and Sat. night there were a few male transsexual prostitutes (one which had her/his top pulled down exposing her breasts). Would not recommend for families with small kids. I maybe crazy but I will try again soon and erase the bad memories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TravelUp and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco