“Hoping our stay next time will be better”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #47 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Pros: cute hotel with lots of character, love "Snazz" music during wine reception, friendly staff, nice room decor, loved food at Saha, two blocks away from Wayo Sushi on Van Ness

Cons: thin walls and doors, view of street not good, small rooms, not great neighborhood, wine reception can get strange if you see one guy coming back 5x's with two glasses

Take past reviews about noise issues seriously. You can literally hear the person peeing in the room next door, hear every conversation, cough, and sniffle as if they are in the room with you. Ask for a room NOT facing the street. They are doing construction at the moment on the building across the street and the noise from outside is just as crystal clear as the noise from the hallway and next door rooms. They started hammering at 7am on Sat.-bummer.

I would've given this hotel one star based on my experience which was a man coming back to the hotel at 1:30am with about 10 people two doors down from us. They literally were in the hallway screaming, laughing and acting crazy for about an hour before I called down. I was trying so hard to believe they would settle down eventually. They did not. The front desk came up about 4 x's with no success until a police officer showed up at 5:30am. Very disturbing. It was just a really strange scene since you could hear the man sound reasonable when they would come up and then as soon as the front desk people would leave he's go right back to partying. I even came out of my room at 3:30am and told him I'd had enough and to knock it off and shut up already. Still he continued until the cops came.

So obviously I wasn't very happy when I checked out the next day and this is why I give them 3 stars. They were super apologetic, comped me the nights stay, and told me they were really upset as well with what happened. The mgr., Jamie, was just arriving as I was leaving so I filled her in quickly and just said "Be prepared for other guests to speak with you about this. It was like nothing else I have ever experienced and it was very disturbing." She apologized and I left. By the time I got home 30 mns. later there was a msg. from her asking me to call. She told me on the phone that she had read the employees report and was thoroughly upset with what had happened and wished it had not gone on as long as it did. She also said she wants to send me an offer to come back free of charge to give them another chance. I said I would. I can't imagine that it would be like that again!

My advice---specifically request a quiet room with preferably no one next door, not next to the housekeeping closet or next to the elevator since everyone's conversation comes right into your room at all hours of the night. Also the neighborhood is right on the verge of not being so great. We saw a lot of homeless people just crashed on the street and Sat. night there were a few male transsexual prostitutes (one which had her/his top pulled down exposing her breasts). Would not recommend for families with small kids. I maybe crazy but I will try again soon and erase the bad memories.

Room Tip: High floor with no one above you, away from noisy elevators and housekeeping closet, don't face...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wsissel
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. Being in the city there are certainly times when it is not completely quiet. We are happy to hear that we could remedy it for you somewhat. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and we look forward to making it up to you next time. We look forward to seeing you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,959)

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Pretty much the same reviews as everyone here. The whole staff from the front desk to the room service maids are very much welcoming and friendly. We had stayed in the area for two nights only. The room was spacious with a comfortable bed, very clean and looked extremely nice. The best part of it all, the location is in the middle of everywhere! We were able to buy a day buss/trolley pass for only $12 across the street in a liquor store to avoid all driving traffic/parking. We left our car a block down from the hotel overnight. It was $40 for two nights...but oh well. That's better than $60 from the hotel. I will most definitely stay at this Hotel again over and over. They do offer free wine nightly I believe (which we didn't do) but it was really of the Hotel to offer this to us. Theo (front desk) advised us what to check out in town, the routes to take and what to avoid lol. Funny guy! My partner who usually always plans our vacations had asked me to plan our in San Francisco this time...and let me just say he was extremely pleased I had picked this Hotel. The outside location MIGHT look sketchy...but it really isn't people. Check this hotel for sure!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jimmy S

Thank you for a fantastic review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the information you provided for our future guests as well. We hope that you'll join us again for a bite in the Saha Restaurant, it is exquisite! We look forward to your return, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed at Carlton at a time when the rest of the city's hotels were booked up for some conference, and were able to get a very good rate. The location is good, convenient and safe. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not your usuall experience and definitely has an interesting character to it. The rooms are small but clean. The beds are comfortable. And I found the artwork on walls, the map in the elevator with all the pictures and the rest of the "imaging" quite worthwhile. Overall, would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane S
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for a great review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate your comments. We hope that you'll join us at the Saha Restaurant upon your next visit. We look forward to you return, and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 5 March 2013

From the minute we walked into the Carlton, we felt welcomed and amused. The staff was all extremely accommodating, very friendly, and funny too. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We only had breakfast at Saha restaurant, but wouldn't hesitate to eat there even if we weren't staying at the hotel. Yemini breakfast! Yum! The location is good for access to the rest of the city. And don't even think about missing the happy hour. For the price, you can't do any better.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tina D
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. The Saha Restaurant is certainly a treat, and thank you for mentioning how much you liked it! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, we felt cared for and watched after. The staff at the Carlton went out of their way to make us comfortable. We had just flown in from Asia and were exhausted. We dropped the bags and went to lunch, knowing we couldn't check in until the afternoon. When we returned, our bags were ready to go to our room and it was waiting for us. We made odd calls in the middle of the night (different time zones) and used the lobby for quiet work sessions but that was no problem. We had run of the house with all the services at our disposal. The restaurant is quite a find, as well. I have been eating at that restaurant for so long I can't remember when I first went. But I have always been thrilled with the food at Saha prepared by the chef's able hands. If you need a good place to hang your hat when you are really busy with business, and you want to be centrally located without paying the crazy prices or being stuck in the noise downtown, the Carlton is the choice. I was right on the bus lines to go visit family around the city and within walking distance to some really excellent food choices. I usually don't mind hotels much, I spend most of my time outside looking around, but this was a trip "home" and I wanted to be somewhere comfortable with people who were paying attention and could answer questions and help with business needs. I got that.

Room Tip: The east side faces a playground of sorts. It is only used after school for a few short hours, but i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stevenredd

Thank you for a terrific review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback, and we love to hear that we became your home-away-from-home. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!