“Quiet Neighborhood; Quiet Hotel”
Review of Kimpton Buchanan

Kimpton Buchanan
Ranked #36 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 September 2017

If you wish to be slightly outside the busy downtown, this is a really nice hotel. My room was spacious, well maintained with an excellent view (8th Floor). It is a neighborhood so the area may not feel exactly what you may think SF feels like but it is extremely safe and quiet. California cable car stops a few blocks away and Number 2/3 bus will get you there as well. Recommend train from SFO to Montgomery and take Uber one mile to hotel. The restaurant is to be upgraded in October. I think that this was a good idea.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Thanks so much, RoboPop,
As I just detailed for the reviewers above a bit, we are super excited about the upcoming redesign of the restaurant space here at the hotel. The tenant's younger generation is taking over the business and infusing a new look as they make their mark on the place and continue the legacy of being a locals' favorite here in Japantown/Pac Heights. And, for those who still need a quick breakfast during their Oct-Nov closure, we've got you covered with absolutely scrumptious breakfast boxes designed for us by Jane bakery, who will deliver to us fresh daily!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

The location was somewhat inconvenient. The desk staff ranged from very good to barely knowledgeable. The connected but private restaurant was marginal at best, expensive with basic offerings. This is a low end Kimpton. We had a very noisy room air conditioner that caused a bad night's sleep. We were moved the same type room to a higher floor that bad a new air conditioner. Hard to believe we were the first guests to note the problem.

Room Tip: Higher floors for better views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Hi, Cheryl H. Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I believe you are the same guest who submitted a survey earlier in the week regarding an HVAC unit, though it would be great if you could please drop me a line when you have a moment. I'd like to verify the room number and ensure that the maintenance team got to the bottom of that noise! At this point, all of our guestroom heating/cooling units are either brand new or refurbished, so these kinds of issues shouldn't be happening. Thanks for the heads up! Oh, and I should mention that the restaurant tenant that occupies our first-floor space is undergoing a total makeover at the hands of new management beginning next month ;). Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more when your time permits!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

This is a great hotel. The rooms were very spacious for San Francisco and they even had double rooms with queen beds (hard to find). They are very pet friendly and don't charge anything extra to bring your dog with you which is very rare these days. The staff were all very friendly and there was a nice free wine reception in the lobby from 5-6pm. The parking was also reasonable but limited.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much, CaliforniaCanTravel! Sometimes I wish we got a bit more credit for our "reasonable" parking price since it is a reality that (while still a bit to wrap one's mind around), $38+tax per overnight is about twenty bucks less than the going rate at most hotels downtown. I suppose it's all about our crazy real estate prices here! Anyhow, thanks for the kudos on that, the staff, and the amenities. We totally hear you that two queen beds is much comfier than two doubles, and we're really lucky that our rooms are large enough to make that happen with room left to pull off that morning yoga (or the yoga people plan to do and snooze through :) ) Thanks!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Please read full review: Good location, clean amenities, but terrible customer service in terms of cancelling. Hence I gave 1 star for experience but 5 stars for the actual hotel.
I have been to the buchanon about 7 years ago. This time around, I booked 1 month in advance and due to travel difficulties, I missed my check in date and had to go directly to the conference. When attempting to check in afterward, the hotel charged me 1 night (which was fine, since I booked it), but they gave my reservation away and then told me that they had no rooms for the evening. I never heard of a check-in time limit without a courtesy call. What made it worse was that I was out of a room at 8 PM at night and it was conference week at UCSF. Then I asked for a receipt for the charge, and they said that they couldn't give me one. So I had no room, and they charged me and they would not give me a receipt for the credit card charge. I still needed a room for the rest of the week, so they called another hotel, and they promised to waive the late check in fee if I came back the next day and rebook for the rest of the week. I really like this hotel, & they did try to make up for it, but I ended up missing the evening conference, and I was so tired dealing with them that I just went to the other hotel. They really ruined Day 1 for me for what was an exciting conference in SF. When I came back on Thursday, I received the 7th floor balcony room and it was pleasant with good views. The 2 queen beds were clean, and the service was good. However, since they do not state their check in policy nor do they attempt to notify the customer of canceling even when you use a credit card to reserve a room is a terrible policy.

Will I come back? Probably. I just want our travelers be aware of the hotel's check in policy and the misery of finding a room during conference week in SF.

Room Tip: book a room with a balcony away from Sutter's noise.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Josh C
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Hi, Josh C, and thanks for revising your review. I'm happy to see that when you rebooked with us for the remaining nights of the UCSF conference, the stay in your 7th floor room was fantastic. Given that, and the fact that you mention the stay itself was 5 stars, would you possibly consider revising your overall rating up from the current 1 star? I wouldn't ask for your time messing around with changes, except that a 1-star really kills us and we are trying to make the "Top 25" on TripAdvisor together as a team :). Thank you for your consideration!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

If you crave a stay away from the hustle and bustle of the City, then the Buchanan is for you. Explore Japan town, the Richmond, and surrounding areas. Excellent restaurants all walking distance. At night, nice and quiet. Top it off with nice staff.

Room Tip: If the schools next door are in session, and you like to sleep in, best to ask staff first.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much, Lloyd T! The team will love reading this feedback. For all the folks at home: check out our website for a variety of local restaurant recommendations. From the local ramen joint to fine dining at a Michelin-starred favorite, we've got you covered around here!!