New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Super 8 San Francisco/Union Square Area

Super 8 San Francisco/Union Square Area
Ranked #156 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Affordable but I would have paid more to avoid the smell”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I've stayed at plenty of Super 8s and budget hotels, hostels and youth hostels around the world. I read reviews on TripAdvisor suggesting that the place smells and I thought that it was probably just the typical TripAdvisor crowd who complain about everything.

The hotel itself was pretty much as I was expecting for a budget hotel. The location was good for shopping. The rooms were clean but old and small. The service was perfectly fine and the free breakfast wasn't too bad for a motel-style free breakfast.

However, there was the smell... the whole hotel has a kind of strange odour that is musty, soapy and slightly pepper-like (and partly, it smells like they've tried to cover it up with other cleaning products). My first night was particularly bad -- I probably would have paid an extra $20 more at another hotel to have avoided the smell. I've stayed at plenty of old, musty and dirty hotels but the smell of this hotel really stood out. My other four nights weren't so bad (perhaps it was the wind direction -- I'm pretty sure it wasn't just me getting used to it), the smell was still there, but the odour wasn't as strong and it was pretty much tolerable. Also, the smell gets into everything. A week later, when I returned home, my partner could smell the hotel on the clothes that were in my bag.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 San Francisco/Union Square Area, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We always keep our hotel and rooms smelling clean. I am not sure why your clothes and room were smelling unpleasant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
FORT WALTON BEACH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The staff at the desk were very nice and professional. This is an old building with a small lobby, small rooms and small bathrooms, but that's quite common in San Francisco and we expected it. Also, the age of the building gives it character! The room was clean, air conditioned, and comfortable. The room was in the back and the view was a wall, but it was very quiet and we slept great. The bed was a double but seemed much larger. I do wish the sheets and blankets weren't so much smaller than the bed so you could pull them up to your chin, and the bottom sheets would stretch all the way around the mattress. The light breakfast was very adequate and a surprise in a lower-priced hotel and in San Francisco! Would like to see some type of oversight, though, to curb the stashing away of handfuls of food going out the door by customers. There is an elevator so no worry to get your luggage up to your room (and back down), Bottom line is our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and understanding why the rooms and lobby are small. Also, for appreciating our old building.
Hope to see you soon.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Pros
- great proximity to union square. Straight bus from union sq to the wharf and pier areas.
- breakfast is free; but no warm food

Cons
- location might be a bit dodgy; try not to go west of he hotel. Everything on the east (towards union sq) is okay
- room kinda reminded me of my apartment in my poor undergrad days in Boston. Lil bit dingy but livable once you get used to it.

Overall: try to understand that most hotels in e area are really expensive so you won't have much of a choice. For the money that you pay, you get decent accommodation. Dont expect the Hilton (which is just a block away) and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank pointandshoot
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 San Francisco/Union Square Area, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Thank you for staying with us and understanding that San Francisco is very expensive. We do offer warm food like waffles, toast, and oatmeal. It is continental breakfast. We apologize if you did not have any of the warm food.
Vasteras, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

First a warning. The company who works with the valetparking are no good !
They schratched my rental car twice. Dont know what thi going to cost me!

The hotel. Well.... Overpriced. Its like hostel. Not clean. Includes breakfast like à hostel.

The staff is very good (but not the hotel)

Will never boom this hotel again!

Lindell

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We apologize for your inconvenience, sir. The valet parking is an outside service but we apologize for the damage on your car. The valet parking service is used by many other hotels around the area. We are located in the heart of San Francisco and other hotel prices are higher than our. It is a big city that attracts many people. We have our hotel clean at all times and make our rooms comfy for our guest.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Mexico City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

First the bad stuff:
The day we arrived we took the elevator and got trapped. When they finally got us out they told us it was because we were 8 people even the elevator had a sign of limit of 12.
At least my room smelled a little to feet
One of my friends got some kind of rash we think he got bed bugs, kindly the manager offer to pay for medication. Still that was really gross

Good stuff:
Location is the best!! For the price it was the best we could find
Free wifi
Free breakfast (juice is awful but it is free :-) bagels and sweet treats

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank TheRealMaiMai
We apologize for the inconvenience. Our hotel is old therefore the elevator cannot work its best as it use to. Our beds do not have bed bugs so I am certain that it must have been something else. We are in the heart of San Francisco and everything is near by.