Union Square Plaza Hotel
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$200
US$364
US$219
  • Bar/Lounge
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$259
US$290
US$284
US$209
  • Restaurant
Stanford Court San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$169
  • Bar/Lounge
Handlery Union Square Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$215
US$528
US$443
  • Restaurant
All reviewstwo blockspowell streetrooms are smallcable carconferencebart
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I was bitten by bed bugs soon after I went to bed in the 1st evening. I was too tired to move hotel so I settled for relocation to another room which was very worn and dusty (same with the first). The window won't stay opened and there was no air condition. On the 4th morning I found a live bed bug clawing on the bathroom floor.

I chose the hotel for its location i.e. buses travel along Geary Street, 15-20 minutes walk to Chinatown, 8 minutes walk to the nearest cable car stop, many Downtown San Francisco attractions are within walking distance.

I will not recommend this hotel until they have sorted out the housekeeping/maintenance issues.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed here one week for oracle week I had a wonderful time room was excellent and clean over looking the front Geary street. Lots of restaurants and was walking distance to my conference. Over all this is a good hotel in a five star location and the staff was very helpful in answering all my questions I sure will return next year for oracle week.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Yes, I'm cheap. When my husband and I attend an annual professional meeting, I look around for lower-price hotels instead of opting for the expensive conference choices. I do want to get a good value for my money, though; my cheaper hotel needs to have amenities like a mini-fridge, microwave, or more space. The Union Square Plaza Hotel has these, as it turns out, but they're not worth the price. For one thing, the fridge didn't really work (the freezer portion had an ice pack to rival the Arctic), and the microwave didn't work at all. There was plenty of room, but the lighting was depressingly dim--this is "Fog City," remember--and the furniture looked like it had been assembled from a combination of garage sales and failed hotel auctions. Yeah, ick. On the plus side, the housekeeping staff did a good job of keeping the admittedly dingy surfaces clean, and I only saw one undersized cockroach. The dealbreaker turned out to be the techno music pounding through our wall until 4am every night. I simply couldn't sleep, since even my trusty earplugs couldn't keep out the thump of the bass notes. Better hotels are available in Union Square for the same money or less; keep looking!

Room Tip: Avoid the street-facing windows, which admit both cold air and noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Gussiecat
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed here for only one night as a place to sleep after a concert. I purposely chose it since it was cheap. We only needed a bed and shower. I didnt expect much going in-i read the reviews before booking. We were just concerned with getting a nights sleep. I was disappointed to have an extremely uncomfortable night. The pillows were flat and lumpy, the mattress was extremely uncomfortable. I've stayed in cheaper places where there was at LEAST a comfy bed. Never again.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Ericapetree
Reviewed 16 October 2011

stayed end of september for 4 nights (4 ladies).We had one room with 2 double beds, we had already read the reviews so were not expecting 5star but it wasn't that bad,yes the room was small and dated, but it was clean apart from the windows. the location was good ,5minute walk to Union Square. The young guy on the desk was helpful , giving us extra pillows and telling us the best place for breakfast. Would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends