Hotel Spero
US$335
US$242
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$243
US$213
US$301
US$251
  • Bar/Lounge
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$259
  • Restaurant
Stanford Court San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$193
US$325
US$302
  • Room Service
Handlery Union Square Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$197
  • Pool
US$591
US$500
3,076 results
All reviewsunion squaretenderloinkimpton hotelswine receptionrooms are smallboutique hotelmini barcorner roomfew blocksconvenient locationking bedmarket streetvalet parkingpublic transportationcable carnob hillfisherman's wharf
Reviewed 27 April 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night. It was a girls getaway and we had a great time. The room was a decent size and the staff were friendly. They have a great complimentary wine hour each night. The only downside is the cost of parking and the neighborhood. Just one block away it gets pretty iffy at night. We had to put another friend in a cab just to go two blocks to her car at night because we didn't feel safe walking. Overall, I would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank rcopeland14
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Hotel Spero, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear rcopeland14,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting about your stay, I am very pleased that you had a fun girls getaway.

We hope that you'll be doing a lot more of those, it's always good to have fun! If I can ever be of personal assistance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Manager

Reviewed 24 April 2012

A convenient location for the theater district with all the quality and friendly service you'd expect from a Union Square hotel. Once you step inside the Serrano you'll never know you're in the Tenderloin. But still an easy walk to places like the Great American Music Hall (awesome place to see a show btw). And if you'd like to avoid the street shenanigans it's easy to find a cab. < $10 cab fare to Fisherman's Wharf.

Yes, parking is expensive. But this is San Francisco, parking is expensive everywhere. Either take the train in to the city or know that you're going to have to budget for parking.

Be sure to check-in in time to enjoy their daily wine reception in the lobby from 5-6pm. Great way to start off the evening.

Overall, I recommend the Serrano and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less street noise. Check for discounts on king rooms and suites - you'll appreciate the extra space and might not have to pay too much more than the base room. Be sure to register for Kimpton's loyalty program. You'll get free internet access and $10 credit for the mini bar.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chiz147
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Hotel Spero, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear chiz147,

Thank you so much for stopping by our Tripadvisor page and leaving such kind comments - I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. I will have to say though, we are still in the Union Square district, our neighbors in the Tenderloin wouldn't take us in... haha.

Hope to see you back soon.

Manager.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Serrano was a great boutique hotel a few years ago, but time and neglect from Kimpton have tarnished its reputation. When I first visited a few years ago, the property was immaculate and had great service. The desk and bell/valet staff was great. I don't know what happened in those three years, but Kimpton just seems to have written off the property and the service levels.

The most helpful person of all was the doorman/bellman on the second shift. He was sharp, helpful with assistance and directions and overall a great person. The same cannot be said of the desk staff, who seemed overall uninterested in doing anything more than standing behind the desk acting like they were sedated. It took me several calls and I finally had to physically come down to take care of two problems in my room that the desk staff didn't even acknowledge until the valet reminded them to call someone. Sorry, but the Serrano is just not that large or busy enough of a hotel to have such a complete lack of attention to guest needs.

The hotel itself needs a refresh, and the room was small, dingy and quite noisy. The room itself was only slightly larger than the bed, and it felt like I was staying in a pop-up trailer most of the time. The hotel is in a dodgy area at the edge of the Tenderloin, so you could not go out at night unless you were in a group.

Overall, the experience was definitely not worth the money. The only reason I gave the hotel three stars was due to the great second shift valet. If I had to rate it solely on the desk staff, I would have asked for negative stars.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DGfromDallas

Dear DGfromDallas,

Ouch – sounds like we really blew it. I am so sorry! You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us. I really thank you for taking the time to give us feedback; we take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve!

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your trust. If I can ever be of assistance, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Manager.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I used to like this hotel, stayed many times. The restaurant went from Asian Fusion to a pub, unimpressed with the food when I stayed in Jan when they first opened, but haven't tried since so can't really comment. The hotel is small, rooms are tight, and parking is expensive- all typical for Union Square. A few of the front desk and bell/ valet staff are great, a few are mediocre. The wine reception was unimpressive (as compared to other Kimptons), very generic wine- go there on work trips and never make it back in time for wine anyway. No coffee maker in either of our rooms, but great coffee in the lobby so it is a good excuse to go down and mingle.

I had an issue on this last trip which will switch me to another hotel for my next SFO biz trip. We stayed at the Serrano on April 9th, I had two rooms (one of them a suite) and was given 2 x mini bar vouchers to use during our family stay. The woman checking me out would not let me use both vouchers- she insisted it was 'one voucher per stay'. I explained a few times, that my wife was in one room, I was in another (with kids in each), we had two stays (2 rooms x 3 nights) and I was given both vouchers (one for each room) on check in. She was adamant that I could only use one (despite being giving one for each room on check in). Very annoying.

I decided not to argue over $10.00- but it was very frustrating, and totally unnecessary for a return guest to have to deal with check in telling me one thing and check out refusing reason.

Room Tip: ask for a suite upgrade on check in. regular rooms are small
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear schnepper,

I am sorry to read that your last visit wasn't flawless, I really apologize for that confusion. Typically the Kimpton InTouch program only allows for one of those vouchers to be redeemed but after reading that you and your wife were splitting rooms we should have figured that out better; I will investigate it with our team so that this doesn't happen again. Please accept my sincere apologies and I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope that you will find a chance to give us an opportunity to regain your confidence in Serrano. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Manager

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Good size room, great shower, helpful staff. very clean and modern looking. The location is right on the edge of a problematic area.

• Stayed: April 2012