“Delightful hotel, out of the way...”

Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina
Ranked #158 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Delightful hotel, out of the way...”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend in February of 2011. As another reviewer stated it is a bit of a walk to fisherman's wharf. There is public transportation on the next block over so that's not too much of a problem. I would agree with the assessment that it is closer to the Golden Gate bridge if anything. The rooms are decent sized and there is a quite a happening scene on the block next over, but not too crazy. You can definitely get a good meal, and do some decent shopping without having to venture too far out.

As for parking there are a few spaces downstairs, the layout of the hotel is almost like a garden style apartment complex where the middle of the property has parking in the bottom floor. We didnt have a car, but I believe it is first come first serve so you may have to park on the street if you lose out on a spot.

We didnt try the food or anything like that as we were out early and just caught breakfast in one of the eateries around the area.

Overall I would go back to this hotel as it is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the city but there is enough to do where you dont feel like you are cooped up in your room at night.

Room Tip: If you have a car, make sure you are able to find a parking spot and plan on just walking or public...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nycwbyfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I would like to start off by saying that we found this place charming. For the price it
was VERY charming!! Affordable and clean.
We were a bit mislead by the advertisement of it being 'close' to Fisherman's Warf. We were traveling on foot and had never been to San Fran so we soon learned that we had to walk a bit further than expected. Luckily we didn't have much luggage and the two of us are happy to discover a new city on foot! Some people have complained that there was no parking available but I know I did see some under the rooms.
I was really pleased by the location.... and actually happy that it WASN"T in the fisherman's warf area that turned out to be a bit of a tourist trap, plastic Disney land of a place! Off of Lombard St where a lot of trendy restaurants, shops, and bars that we quite enjoyed. We had two really GREAT meals close to the hotel after passing on many disappointing options in Fisherman's warf.
It would be safer to say that it is close to the GGate bridge. We had a nice stroll around the area and watched the sun go down on the bridge. Next to that there was an amazing building and Science center of some sort that we didn't get a chance to go into.
I would go back to this hotel. I read someone else go bed bugs there, but as far as have heard that can happen in a 5 star hotel just as frequently. I found it clean and cute. We enjoyed a nice continental breakfast in the morning that was very tasty!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca P
Reviewed 30 December 2011

There are half the number of parking spaces than there are units. Street parking in the area is almost impossible.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Socalcouture
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here at the end of September, 2011. To make a long story short, I got bed bugs. I didn't realize what it was (I don't have any prior experience with bed bugs) until I got home and did some research. I am certain they are bed bug bites (over 50 on my arms, legs and torso) and I saw bed bug feces on the mattress. I immediately started washing everything from our luggage and the clothes we were wearing and called the hotel. The workers were, how should I say, less than helpful. They told me they "monitor these things" and that "this is normal." I don't think so!!! I called almost every day for over a week trying to get ahold of the manager to get a refund, but no return call. "He's very busy...we don't know when he'll be in...what's your name again?" Nobody called me back until I filed a complaint with the chain's upper management. Then they offered me 25% off my next stay! Are you kidding me? Don't be ridiculous, I will NEVER stay with you again! After way too much effort and frustration, they only gave me a refund for one night. My husband and I have 4 small children and getting away like that happens less than rarely and that hotel ruined an otherwise enjoyable trip.

--Itchy in the city

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Maylin F

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

philadelphia
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This hotel was very clean, except for the carpet, but who cares. That's why I always pack slippers. The sheets, pillows and bedding were abundant and very comfortable and clean. The fridge and microwave were clean. The large TV was nice. The location is a wonderful little neighborhood with shops, delis, bars and restaurants. True, it's not Fisherman's Wharf. I believe it's called the Mariana area. I stayed there for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and mass transit to the park and other parts of the city was excellent. The lady in the lobby was very sweet and helpful with bus information. So, the little lobby smelled like Indian food. Who cares? The Indian staff probably microwaves their lunch in there. If you want a five-star hotel in an expensive city, you have to pay five-star prices, but if you want a nice, decent, clean relatively inexpensive hotel in San Fran, this Super 8 is a great deal. And once again, there were no bed bugs at all, and I'm very paranoid about that.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple