“Amazing food”

Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 16th and 17th Streets
Transit: MUNI and BART both stop at Mission and 16th Streets
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

Dinner was inventive and delicious and well worth the price tag. I loved every dish and the table had a hard time deciding on favorites. Wow! Desert was unloved, drinks were trying a bit too hard and it took time for our waiter to grow on us. I'm still rating it five stars because that food! Absolutely worth a visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Our daughter and future son-in-law recommended Bar Tartine for our night out in the city when my husband and I visited. It did not disappoint. The Friends & Family menu offers 3 courses (which were actually served as 4 courses) for a set price of $58 each. This is a reasonable price for the variety of taste treats we got. Each dish was unique and flavorful. The beef tartare with anchovies at first tasted too fishy, but my taste buds adjusted and enjoyed. I was surprised to find that my favorites were the flounder with kabocha squash (a soup) and sprouted mung bean croquettes; both had unexpected texture and flavor. Our server could have been a little friendlier, but she was as attentive as we needed. Go there for an unusual and fun dining experience.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Terribly expensive compared to quality of food and service.... Very reduced menu. Awful drinks (house cocktail Rose Geranium and soft drink Ginger Water). We could not finish them! Below average food (did not finish either) and average service.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

I'd been meeting to eat at Bar Tartine forever, and finally made it in last night. It met, but did not exceed, my expectations.

The atmosphere was nice - convivial but not too loud. The food was good (except dessert, but I'll get to that later). It honestly kind of reminded me of all the other trendy places in SF. We sat at the bar, which was nice because it didn't require a reservation.

Also, they had orange wine! Hard to find here in SF.

My complaints were mostly with the end of the meal. I didn't love the desserts - the ice cream tasted like lotion to me but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

What annoyed me the most was that they don't have decaf coffee. I was told that "since we are in a drought, as a water conservation measure they are not serving decaf coffee, because decaffeinating the beans is a very water-intensive process."

^^ I'd note that coffee production, period, is water intensive period, so why single out decaf?

^^ What about almonds?

^^ I'd also note that if water conservation is so important, they might not want to be in the restaurant business, as it's far more sustainable for people to simply eat at home.

I believe in conservation and sustainability as much as anyone, but I don't think that undermining their own dining experience is the way to do so. I know this sounds crazy, but I *love* having a decaf coffee after dinner (it doesn't keep me up!), and not having it really clouded my experience. In fact, if they had just not had any coffee at all, that would have been less offensive than singling out decaf coffee specifically.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

Killer Apps try the Lentil balls and actually all the dishes on daily changing menu.Limited menu means they do everything suberb.Service is stellar ask for Allison.May be tough to get a table on weekends so try after 9.15pm