“Don t make the same mistake as us!”
Review of Bar Tartine - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 16th and 17th Streets
Transit: MUNI and BART both stop at Mission and 16th Streets
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Terribly expensive compared to quality of food and service.... Very reduced menu. Awful drinks (house cocktail Rose Geranium and soft drink Ginger Water). We could not finish them! Below average food (did not finish either) and average service.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

I'd been meeting to eat at Bar Tartine forever, and finally made it in last night. It met, but did not exceed, my expectations.

The atmosphere was nice - convivial but not too loud. The food was good (except dessert, but I'll get to that later). It honestly kind of reminded me of all the other trendy places in SF. We sat at the bar, which was nice because it didn't require a reservation.

Also, they had orange wine! Hard to find here in SF.

My complaints were mostly with the end of the meal. I didn't love the desserts - the ice cream tasted like lotion to me but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

What annoyed me the most was that they don't have decaf coffee. I was told that "since we are in a drought, as a water conservation measure they are not serving decaf coffee, because decaffeinating the beans is a very water-intensive process."

^^ I'd note that coffee production, period, is water intensive period, so why single out decaf?

^^ What about almonds?

^^ I'd also note that if water conservation is so important, they might not want to be in the restaurant business, as it's far more sustainable for people to simply eat at home.

I believe in conservation and sustainability as much as anyone, but I don't think that undermining their own dining experience is the way to do so. I know this sounds crazy, but I *love* having a decaf coffee after dinner (it doesn't keep me up!), and not having it really clouded my experience. In fact, if they had just not had any coffee at all, that would have been less offensive than singling out decaf coffee specifically.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

Killer Apps try the Lentil balls and actually all the dishes on daily changing menu.Limited menu means they do everything suberb.Service is stellar ask for Allison.May be tough to get a table on weekends so try after 9.15pm

Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

We were recommended to go here by our Airbnb host and we're so glad we did.
The food is fantastic, all very fresh, innovative and so tasty.
It is a bit privy at $58 per person but you get 4 generous courses for that.
They're also very accommodating with dietary requirements and gave us separate dishes where needed as my husband doesn't eat cheese.

1  Thank Charliet
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Having seen mixed reviews, and going with a friend who knows the owner I was not 100% convinced this was going to be a dining experience I would enjoy. Boy how wrong was I. From the greeting to the farewell everything was fantastic. We had the Motze Monday, where the chef prepares some of their favourite dishes along with something different. I cannot remember ever seeing these dishes on a menu elsewhere, The trout cured in rice, which is then used in the 'porridge' of which the starch is used in the noodles (how's that for recycling?) was a particular favourite of mine. I am a sucker for anything fishy. We were reordering seconds on a number of dishes including the, simple sounding, Long Beans with Basil and Peppers. The wine parings were great, tho I cannot remember which ones we sampled. Of our 3 weeks in the Bay Area this was a stand out dining experience in every way. Great Friends along with Fantastic Food and Great Service. Definitely will be returning here on our next visit.

1  Thank PiranhaPete