“Anthony Bourdain was here”
Review of Sam's

Sam's
Ranked #855 of 6,032 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 29 June 2018

My wife and I chance upon this small deli while walking back to our hotel one late night. She wanted diet coke, I wanted a burger - but not the fast food kind.
We hesitated going in as there were only two customers and only one staff serving them. We took the chance and never regretted it.

I ordered cheese burger and my wife got the plain burger - for take-away. We did not want to dine in as the place looks old and dated. While waiting, I chance upon some of the pictures and Anthony Bourdain was in one of them, with the owner. A couple of minutes in the wait and customers started to come in. By the time we got our order 10 minutes later, the place was standing room only.

When we ate our take outs at our hotel room, we just can't stop smiling. The burgers were fantastic.

You can never really judge the book by its cover. I'll go back there anytime

Reviewed 14 June 2018

The no frills exterior of Sam's leaves no illusion about the state of the interior, which looks like it hasn't been changed since the doors first opened in the previous century, but that is the charm of it. No pretense, just good friendly service, well into the early hours of the morning. You can order a pizza and a few other things off the board over the counter. But why? They are renown for their homemade burgers. And boy are they really good! Four of us agreed, it had to be one of if not the best burger we ever enjoyed. The burgers are huge! The double patty burger with fries could easily be split between two people. Good bargains are difficult to come by in San Francisco. Sam's is a great deal for the quality of the food and is a pleasant budget pleaser.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

I wrote Sams, I was Wrong, The Diner I meant was MELS Drive in on Mission.
I apologise for the mis leading statement but Im sure Sams in very good too Its just that we were at MELS Drive IN.We went there often.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

The burgers were big!! and plenty! We enjoyed our meal there.. I would have to said a great burger place and Sid a cool guy. He made the patty right in front of us.. and proceeded to cook it just right!

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Sam's is fantastic, the type of place a tourist would miss. Very welcoming and best burger i've had. Thanks.

2  Thank Zatara88