“Jus an average restaurant!”
Review of Helmand Palace

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed 23 January 2018

When in town it is always nice to try new cuisines and restaurants. Helmand Palace had been flagged for a while.
Restaurant setting and décor is lovely and quiet,
Service was simply basic and nothing more than that.
Food was pleasant and suitable for what we anticipated of Afghani food. Mild flavours with little spice and herb. Slightly disappointing personally as I enjoy the full spice and sensation of Asian cuisines, by comparison. Deserts were simple/basic but then again with the amount of rice served with dishes there was not much room for more.
Substantial for the three of us with loads of rice where I would prefer to see more of the condiments and stars of the dishes.
We have ticked that restaurant and will venture on to similar restaurants in future.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

We came here while on a vacation several years ago, so this was the first stop on this vacation. Since I couldn't remember what I had last time, I asked the server to bring me something good, so he brought me lamb chops and a chutney sauce and rice. It was heavenly. The lamb was tender, and I spooned the sauce over it for all the flavors to combine. I love the fragrant and spiced rice, and I confess to trying to mimic it at home, with little success. I love the thin bread and the sauces they bring out before they serve the entrees.

Reviewed 21 November 2017

The Gulpi is exactly what I remembered from Afghanistan, spicy hot with tangy tomato and a hint of sweet. The flatbread was also everything I remembered. My wife and friends who accompanied me had never had Afghan food and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unlike most places in Afghanistan they served a nice selection of local craft beers too!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

This was our first time visiting an Afghan restaurant, and we really enjoyed it. It was easy to pick dishes from the menu, which usually intimidates us with ethnic restaurants. Our group of 4 chose 4-5 dishes and shared the meal family style. The food really tasted great, and the service was very good too. There was plenty of food for us, and we really enjoyed our time here. Price was better than I expected for as much food as we had.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

The restaurant atmosphere was beautiful and authentic. The food was so amazing that we ate until we could barely breathe. The food was cooked to perfection (we had the mixed grill). The salads were fresh and delicious (we had the Afghani salata and yogurt salad). Topped off by two desserts of bucklawa and fruit pudding with black tea, the meal was the best I've had so far in San Francisco. It was so good, I would actually come back to San Fran just to eat here again.