“A Great Example of This Unique Cuisine”
Review of Helmand Palace

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed 18 July 2017

For a country that is so often in our news, it's too bad that more Americans don't more about Afghanistan's unique and flavorful cuisine. Helmand Restaurant is a good place to try it. Since first experiencing it through a friend with many years in that country, we visit any Afghan restaurants we find in our travels. Since it was just around the corner from our Union St. hotel, we visited Helmand on our first night in town, and had a delightful experience, especially enjoying the lamb and eggplant dishes. Our waitress was very pleasant and knowledgeable, and the atmosphere was very attractive and of the culture. The prices were reasonable. A good value.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

This was our first time trying this style cuisine and we were amazed beyond belief! The pumpkin appetizer and vegetarian sampler was remarkable. My lamb chops were the best I've ever had anywhere. The food was hearty, fresh, and made me think of the soul food I'm used to from being a girl raised in the south.
Loved the spices and flavors from the east coupled with a nice ambiance and excellent service. I highly recommend this place for a night of dinning out.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Specialities of the house are pumpkin dishes and a wide variety of lamb dishes. My friend had the fish of the day which was sea bass. Looked great. I had pumpkin and eggplant vegetarian dish. House white wine was good and inexpensive. Very luxurious setting for such modest prices.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

The food: I never tried Afghanistan cuisine before, but now it has me wanting more. I wish there was a restaurant close to home to visit. I ordered the salata with pomegranate dressing and it was heavenly. Not sure if they make in house due to me never seeing a dressing with that flavor before. Ordered the Deygee kabab and would definitely order again and again. The lamb fell apart with the touch of the spoon. The sweet pumpkin with yogurt was a nice treat to end the meal with. There was no room for dessert, but they had desserts available. They had some sort of flat bread with three dipping sauces as an appetizer before the meal. A hot sauce, a cucumber and yogurt sauce and I think a green chile. All were very good.

The staff: The waitstaff was right there with the menus and ready to take your order even being extremely busy. They came through to top off my water glass every few minutes and asked if everything was good.

The location: Located off Van Ness Ave. About a 15 minute walk from the Fisherman's wharf. Quieter neighborhood with not many homeless people.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

This place is a hidden gem. I have kept telling my friends about this place and no one has heard of it. My boyfriend and I are foodies. We love to explore different type of food around the world. I went to 4 different Afghan restaurants and this one is the best so far. Their Kadu is soooo good and the lamb dish with raisin rice is soooo yummy. I'm planning on going back again to try different dishes.