“Amazing food!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

The food: I never tried Afghanistan cuisine before, but now it has me wanting more. I wish there was a restaurant close to home to visit. I ordered the salata with pomegranate dressing and it was heavenly. Not sure if they make in house due to me never seeing a dressing with that flavor before. Ordered the Deygee kabab and would definitely order again and again. The lamb fell apart with the touch of the spoon. The sweet pumpkin with yogurt was a nice treat to end the meal with. There was no room for dessert, but they had desserts available. They had some sort of flat bread with three dipping sauces as an appetizer before the meal. A hot sauce, a cucumber and yogurt sauce and I think a green chile. All were very good.

The staff: The waitstaff was right there with the menus and ready to take your order even being extremely busy. They came through to top off my water glass every few minutes and asked if everything was good.

The location: Located off Van Ness Ave. About a 15 minute walk from the Fisherman's wharf. Quieter neighborhood with not many homeless people.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

This place is a hidden gem. I have kept telling my friends about this place and no one has heard of it. My boyfriend and I are foodies. We love to explore different type of food around the world. I went to 4 different Afghan restaurants and this one is the best so far. Their Kadu is soooo good and the lamb dish with raisin rice is soooo yummy. I'm planning on going back again to try different dishes.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

A cross -country road trip found us staying at a decent motel on Lombardo street (the Franciscan Inn) in San Francisco, and this restaurant was nearby. Having been to Afghanistan many years ago (c. 1970 when it was free and a monarchy, before the Russians, before the Taliban, before the Americans!), I was intrigued to see if the food was anything like I remember. Well, this place was excellent in every way. Lamb with Challow rice (rice boiled and then grilled). The lamb was quite unlike any other lamb you'll find in the States--actually, I think was somewhat like the lamb I've had in Iceland, which was likewise quite delicious. If you like lamb, you have to try this place. Service was very good; price was not exorbitant. The owner, we learned, is actually Egyptian, the maitre d' also Egyptian, and the waitress Moroccan. Go figure!

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Our server was attentive and helpful with vegetarian suggestions. For the record, there are many options available! Everything was delicious, from the cauliflower appetizer through the mains with eggplant, okra, spinach, potatoes, carrots, and green beans. Even the rice was tasty! We had hoped to try some of the desserts, but the dinner was too delicious to leave anything for another time.

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Having not eaten Afghan food before, we were determined to try everthing! We ordered a wide range of dishes and thoroughly enjoyed everything, from the delectable starters through to the exquisite desserts and coffee. This is a quiet place with a calm ambience and excellent service. Highly recommend.