“Excellent food, excellent restaurant.”
Review of Helmand Palace

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed 9 April 2017

A cross -country road trip found us staying at a decent motel on Lombardo street (the Franciscan Inn) in San Francisco, and this restaurant was nearby. Having been to Afghanistan many years ago (c. 1970 when it was free and a monarchy, before the Russians, before the Taliban, before the Americans!), I was intrigued to see if the food was anything like I remember. Well, this place was excellent in every way. Lamb with Challow rice (rice boiled and then grilled). The lamb was quite unlike any other lamb you'll find in the States--actually, I think was somewhat like the lamb I've had in Iceland, which was likewise quite delicious. If you like lamb, you have to try this place. Service was very good; price was not exorbitant. The owner, we learned, is actually Egyptian, the maitre d' also Egyptian, and the waitress Moroccan. Go figure!

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Our server was attentive and helpful with vegetarian suggestions. For the record, there are many options available! Everything was delicious, from the cauliflower appetizer through the mains with eggplant, okra, spinach, potatoes, carrots, and green beans. Even the rice was tasty! We had hoped to try some of the desserts, but the dinner was too delicious to leave anything for another time.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Having not eaten Afghan food before, we were determined to try everthing! We ordered a wide range of dishes and thoroughly enjoyed everything, from the delectable starters through to the exquisite desserts and coffee. This is a quiet place with a calm ambience and excellent service. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 12 December 2016

Helmand Palace has been around for years serving Afghani food. It is a rare restaurant that has tablecloths, well-spaced tables and low noise levels. You can talk, not yell, at your dinner companions. Service is friendly. You can linger at your table.

And the food is very good. Our table had excellent pumpkin and eggplant appetizers. The noodle/dumpling dishes are very good. There are several lamb and chicken entrees. Vegetarian plates are available. Afghan food is delicious and not at all scary for first-time diners.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 11 December 2016

Helmand Palace is off the beaten path, but I read its great reviews and I decided to take a chance. It turned out to be the best food I had in my West Coast trip!!
This place is romantic ( very appealing native music) and cozy ( beautifully decorated with paintings and pictures from Afghanistan). Service is attentive without being pushy. The food is beyond delicious, prices are fair. I truly couldn't find any flaw during my visit, and I could be very picky, lol.
I had never tried Afghani food before but now I declare myself a fan, after visiting Helmand Palace.

Date of visit: August 2016