“Old style San Francisco”
Review of Tadich Grill

Tadich Grill
Ranked #80 of 6,271 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Reviewed 17 April 2018

If you, like us, are looking for a place where you can get S. Francisco seafood, but you don't want to be in a total tourist trap, you want something more local, this might be the place. It's an old, traditional, white jacket waiter restaurant in downtown S. Francisco. We had oysters, chowder, and shared a cioppino, all served by the delightful waiter Ken, and were completely full! Nice atmosphere, nice wait-staff. Will go back next time I'm here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,937)

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

We knew this place was famous and well known. Called into just for drunks to have the experience of being in a place so old and famous.
My husband told the chap who greeted us that we only wanted drinks, which didn't seem to be a problem at the time and we were shown to a table.
We were given the menus tgen we were greeted by a female waiting staff, who was very rude and disrespectful when we said we only wanted a coffee. Her reply was there is a coffee shop a couple of blocks down.
When my husband explained he had said this to the guy who showed us to our table, her attitude still didn't change.
We had been in San Francisco for 10 days and had many pleasant experiences in restaurants but this clearly wasn't one of them.
Really glad we didn't part with with any well earned cash & we promptly left, leaving us with a bad taste.
If any friends or family are planning to go to San Francisco this place we will never recommend.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

I had my first Tadich meal and sad I had to wait so long for my next one.....just as good as my first. The plate of fresh sourdough made my mouth water followed by a delicate sea bass, makes me hungry just thinking about it. My three fellow diners had never had the pleasure of eating there and the collective experience has a resounding...OMG! Clam chowder, Cioppino, fresh pasta, my sea bass and a lamb shank rounded out our orders and only a very small bite of the pasta was left...too much sourdough to start. Old school and wonderful, worth every cent, every time even if it's forty years apart!

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

Reminded me of a NY style restaurant in ambiance and china. We went in between lunch and dinner, so it was not busy and we received very attentive service from multiple servers. Never an empty water glass and food appeared mere minutes after ordering.

Loved the corned beef and cabbage. Worthy of having again. Cabbage and potatoes well cooked but firm enough to be held with a fork.

A very interesting history, and would return again.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

This is the third time going to the Grill. As usual, it was packed. Our group of 5 was seated after about 45 min, but no one cared because of the vibe, lots of people having a good time. Drinks are reasonably priced for its location and solid....not watered down. Had the Boston clam chowder, some of the best I have had, full of clams as opposed to chunks of potatoes. Crab cakes were excellent. The sourdough bread was plentiful but cold and a little tough. Portions were generous and all in the party would go back to this iconic restaurant.

1  Thank JRwestla