All reviews double parking microwave and coffee maker large shower basic room visit sf ghirardelli square recommend staying here awesome location would stay here again comfortable rooms top floor few blocks street noise around the corner safeway fisherman shampoo
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

On a night when everything else was well over $250 a night this hotel met our needs. It had parking, clean beds, and clean shower. You can tell they have tried to update the room but it’s still pretty outdated facility. It met our needs for the night. It was still pretty highly priced for what you get but again it was under $200. Just don’t have high hopes.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Van Ness Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Brandy, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel, it is good to hear that you had a reasonable stay. We hope to remain your hotel of choice in the area.

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

I visit SF every couple of months and stay here, and have recommended it to others. I Just returned from another stay. The room was on par with my past visits (see all my previous reviews), but I was very disappointed in the handling of my need to leave 1 day early (cutting a 6-day stay to 5, leaving on Tue instead Wed), which I let them know at checkin. They first insisted I still pay for the extra day, and after negotiations just relented to a partial payment. This was very disappointing. They are not the only budget motel in the neighborhood, and it seems I need to look at moving my loyalty and recommendations to a hotel that is more accommodating to their customers. Meanwhile, heads-up to others!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Booked the Van Ness Inn for a two night stay in April. Booked primarily due to its location near Fisherman’s Wharf and its competitive price.
When I arrived I was a little apprehensive. To say it could do with a facelift is an understatement. However, from that point on, everything worked out. Given that I’m
reviewing this with price in mind, it’s scores very highly.
The location was perfect. Couple of bars and places to eat immediately around me and a very short, pleasant walk to Ghiradellis/Fisherman’s Wharf. It’s a hell of an uphill hike to the likes of Coit Tower and no good if you are wanting to be close to Union Sq but for everything else it gets the thumbs up.

The room itself was large with two good size beds. Large tv, coffee maker, a/c, and a recently done out bathroom. While the shower pressure was poor, the tiles etc all seem to be brand new.
The colour scheme is awful mind, a hideous yellow paint on the wall.

The bed was super comfy, with nice pillows and super super clean. It was fairly loud with it being on Van Ness and the windows not being double glazed; also the wooden shutters allow the courtyard light to come through which is so bright I thought it was daytime at 5am.

Staff were helpful at check in and when I lost my key card. There’s a small selection of pastries and drinks for breakfast as well.
WiFi singal was good and I was able to stream on my iPad with no issues at all.

Location (out of 5) 5
Staff 4
Comfort of sleep 4
Value for money 4
Cleanliness 4
Food (if applicable) N/A
Amenities 4
WiFi 4

Would I stay here again? Yes.
Would I recommend you stay here? If you don’t mind a no frills room but like things to be clean? Yes go ahead. Great location and cheap for SF.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Van Ness Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel, it is good to hear that you had a reasonable stay. We are sorry for the issues that you encountered with noise. We hope to remain your hotel of choice in the area.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

This place would be good for a nights stay. It is dark and dreary. Most rooms face inward to the other rooms like a lot of these older motels in SF. Parking is free which is a big asset in this town. Modern updates,with automatic lighting which can be a real pain! Clean with good Wifi. Cheaper rooms can be had further up Lombard st.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the north side, they might be brighter.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Van Ness Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

Dear guest, I'm happy to hear that you had a good time at our hotel. It's great to know that the convenience of our location suited you so well. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I stayed 8 day in this on its own hotel. Hotel location is good and it was very close to my bussines Ford Masion also Lambart street !!! that you can find everything on lambart street. There is an gross market front of the hotel and open untill late at night.Rooms were clean, breakfast liitle weak but its almost same all in San Francisco I think its the culture. Anyway all was ok thanks to Van ness inn family especially to Neil.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Van Ness Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Dear Tunahan, I'm happy to hear that you had a good time at our hotel. It's great to know that the convenience of our location suited you so well and that you appreciated our friendly staff. We hope to welcome you back soon!